Recent content by Duck

1. D

Pictures of my 110

I bought this tank a couple of months ago. I've been trying to get it going for a while now, and here it is. This picture is about 3 days old. I have already changed my rock work since these pictures. I like the rock work on the right side, but I have changed the left, plus I had another 30...
  2. D

Cycle Question

Okay... I've cycled tanks before and remember the amonia being high from the very beggining. I've had my new 110 up and running for about a week and a half. I have about 105 pounds of LR in it now (and another 25 - 30 pounds to put in later). From what I remember, the amonia level should be...
  3. D

Sand Question

I bought 4 bags of the Argonite sand group buy back in December in anticiaption of a tank build. I am now setting up a 110 gallon tank. Is that too much sand in the tank? It was suppose to be 40 pound bags, so thats aproximately 160 pounds of sand in the tank. The tank has the same footprint...
  4. D

Mag 12 Question

Is it okay to put a small piece of R-4 insulation in the bottom of your sump to put your Mag 12 on to muffle the vibration?
  5. D

Plumbing questions

I finally got my 110 gallon tank plumbed. I put water in it to do a freshwater leak test. Everything works except a small leak in the return line, but it didn't appear until the water had been sitting in the tank for about a day. I think a little bit of silicon will fix it. I do have a...
  6. D

Nitrate Spike

My nitrates have spike way up on me. I have a 30 gallon tank. The day I realized it, I did a 20% water change. The next day, I did another 20% water change. I didn't do anything on the third day, but yesterday (the forth day), I did a 50% water change. How soon can I do another 50% water...
  7. D

Which Bulkhead should I buy?

I'm looking on Marine Depot and they have 3 different types of bulkhead fittings. Which one is best? The have double threaded, standard, and double slip. Double threaded is treaded on the inside top and bottom. Standard is treaded on the inside top, and double slip is self explanatory. I've...
  8. D

Another Lighting Question

I always hear that T5 lighting is a lot better than VHO lighting. However, a 48" T5 bulb has 54 watts and a 48" VHO has 110 watts. So why are T5s better? Do you not need as many watts of light when you are running T5s? I'm in the process of setting up a 110. I keep mostly zoos, shrooms and...
  9. D

Mark-up on Tanks

I am planning to upgrade my tank sometime next year. I have been watching the "For Sale" board closely, but I think I have decided to just wait until a LFS has a "$1 over invoice on all tanks and stands sale." Does anyone know what the typical mark-up is on tanks and stands so I will know...
  10. D

What kind of Skimmer

I'm planning on getting a 75 or 90 gallon tank next year. Since it is Christmas, I thought I would get ahead on a few things. What kind of Protein Skimmer should I get. I can't afford a top of the line skimmer, but I don't want to waste my money either.
  11. D

Guidelines for fragging corals

Is there any literature on the do's and dont's of fragging. Since I have a pretty small tank, I have never tried to frag anything. I guess I am afraid I will hurt the coral. I am unclear how to get the coral to let go of the rock with out huting it... how long is it okay to have the coral out...
  12. D

My mushrooms are loosing their colors.

I have a 30 gallon tank that has been up for about 2 years now. It contains about 35 pounds of LR and a sand bed. This is my first tank, so I have stuck mostly with zoos and mushrooms. I have several colors of mushrooms, but many of them have lost their color, and are now sort of a drab...