Recent content by ceriff

1. C

Help id'ing this tank

So I have had this tank for a few years now but never knew what exactly it was. I have lost a part and need to either find the part or figure out how to make new overflows. The tank is drilled four times and just has pipe running up to two overflows and two returns. Here are a couple pictures...
  2. C

Help with replacement bulbs

So its time to replace the bulbs in my Hamilton light again. I was thinking of going with 3-250 watt 10,000k metal halides and 2-96 watt actinic bulbs. First off, if I go with this combo, do I want the 420 actinic or the 460 actinic? Second, is there a better combination I should consider? This...
  3. C

Help with Trigger System TS300 skimmer

I am trying to get my trigger system 300 skimmer to run better. It used to work great but doesn't seem to do so hot these days. I am wondering if there is a certain height that it should sit when in a sump. It is in about 12" of water and it is using a Mag 12 pump. Any help would be great. By...
  4. C

Problems with remora pro skimmer

I have a remora pro skimmer with a mag 3 running it. For the first month I didn't get much of anything happening but all the sudden it started skimming very well for about two weeks. Then the trouble started, it starts skimming so wet that it dumps 4 gallons in a matter of an hour or so. I have...
  5. C

Mag drive replacement impeller

My mag 3 quit working and I had a mag 7 impeller new in the package so I compared the two and they look exactly the same. Is there something I am missing? I went ahead and put it in and it runs like a champ. Any comments?
  6. C

Sponge ? ID please

We were moving some rock around and found this covering the back of a rock. Is there any danger with this? Here it is. alt="">
  7. C

Making a frag holder

I am wanting to make a frag holder out of a piece of egg crate and a mag float. Can I use plastic model cement to glue the egg crate to the magnet?
  8. C

Feeding a dwarf lionfish

So my wife decided to come home with a dwarf lionfish a couple months ago. We have been feeding ghost shrimp a couple times a week and today found out that someone else we know got one about the same time but is feeding some kind of frozen food. Is it too late to try to get him moved over to...
  9. C

Using a 55 gallon drum for RO

Simple question here, I have a 55 gallon drum standing upright next to my RO unit. I want to run the unit into the barrel but there is no spicket on it. I don't have room to lay the barrel down and the top does not come off. Is there some kind of water spicket that you can insert from the...
  10. C

Acropora Id please

My brother brought this to me yesterday but didn't know what it was. As I am new to sps' thought yall might have the answer. Thanks. alt="">
  11. C

Advice with lighting temp

Wanted to get some opinions on my lighting. I have a Hamilton light fixture with 2 96watt actinic compact fluorescent lamps and 3 250watt 15000k metal halides. The 15000k lamps are closer to the actinic spectrum than your normal daylight lamps. Dewayne and I were talking about it and we think...
  12. C

Growing your corals

I have a few questions about my reef. I have been going on the current setup for about 9 months now and some of the stuff just doesn't seem to do as well as others. Now I have dealt with nitrate issues and am working on getting them all the way down so I know that has some to do with things but...
  13. C

Heating and cooling controller ?

I am wanting to move a step up in the hobby but don't have the funds to go all out right now so was wondering what would be the easiest way to control by temp a couple heaters and a couple fans (heating and cooling). Right now I am relying on the heater setting on the heater and the fans are on...
  14. C

Help with new RO unit

Ok, so here it is. I was given an almost new RO unit. It is kinda small, 10gal/day with two 4 gallon holding tanks. It is not DI but is better than what I had (nothing). I tested with a tds meter the water from my tap at 800ppm, the water I get from the LFS at 344ppm, and the water out of the RO...
  15. C

Need ID strawberry anemone?

Found a few of these in a new tank I just bought. This is the biggest one. alt="">