Zaphods 210 Build

I use my hand to tighten all bulkheads, never any tools.

That's even better as I can tighten them fairly snug....I have seen people on the internet using strap wrenches, I just thought that was a bit over kill.

I got a octopus skimmer and I'm trying to figure out if its internal to the sump or external...I also not really sure how to plumb it in...I think I have it figured out but, some advise is always welcome. Also....I was told this will be enough for my 210 but....I'm wondering.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/geg55wrf6v31py1/DTefTqCdu4

Any more you can give me on that....like is it internal or external? What do you mean my recirculating...does it matter where its plumbed if it does this?

I would run it internally.

A recirculating skimmer is fed water from your overflow drain or an additional pump (like small mag, MJ1200, etc). The pump that is attached to your skimmer takes in water from the skimmer body, introduces air/agitation, and returns it back to the skimmer body. The gate valve is there to adjust the water level. Thats about all I can tell you.

Do you have a model number?

Even internally it still needs a feed pump or be fed by the overflow not sure if that's what you meant. Only positive if you keep in the sump is that if skimmer cup overflows it overflows in the sump not the cabinet.

Recirculating skimmers are actually more efficient than a same model in sump skimmer as the skimmer pump is dedicated to just churning air and water and not just drawing in water into the skimmer. Plus to run it externally you don't have to worry about the skimmer pump heating the water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Thanks all for the input....no I dont have a model number I have asked octopus to id the thing and they have not gotten back with a model number....I have done some searches on the web and can get close but, no cigar.

Its probably a DNW150 or 200. The water input looks to be in the same location. You should be able to tell if its the 150 or 200 from the type of pump and diameter of the skimmer body.

The dnw150 might work, but the dnw200 would certainly work. Its sort of a game with skimmer ratings because your stocking and feeding habits play a big role in whether or not a skimmer will be enough.

Just a question.....why don't you have this thread moved to the build thread??

Also, I run a recirculating skimmer on my 165g and it is the DNW150. Little older model Octopus skimmer, but it works fine. Supposed to be rated for a 200g tank I think. As Heath said, if it is the DNW200, you should be all set. Even if it is a little small, it will be a while before your bioload and waste are substantial enough to cause it to be insufficient. Just my opinion.

yea....I dont know why I put the build here Guess I saw that part of the forum after I did this...if Wes wants to move it that would be OK.

Im still trying to work all that out any ideas for me so I can put them on the board....I have started my sump and refuge plans but, am no where close to being finished.

Hey.. I may not be the best person to advise on this, but I ran into similar "thoughts" in my build. . First, I would def load the sumps from the sides. I think removing the side panels may be easier to do then the "struts", they don't look like they are bearing any weight but double check on it.. put them back on with hinges. . If you want to "play" with it later. ....

Here is what I wished I had done different on my. ..I may do it next time, if ever I need to empty out the sump. I wish I had built a Dollie to support the sump. That would lock in place but also roll out pushing the sump out from underneath the tank (needless to say after the drain and return line are disconnected. Maybe just a foot or so.. in my case I have 42" of stand hight to play around in there. But in a shorter stand that may be very very useful. Just a wild idea.. I had when I realised I will need to dump the mud in my rear refugium chamber.

The skimmer. The clear tube in the picture seems to be what needs to connect to a pump, or be fed from your over flow. . In My case I "T "off the return line with a valve in case I run one of those, or reactors, or uv.. or all of the above later. ..

The sides and struts don't come out they are fixed in position and cannot be cut out without damaging the structure of the stand....I'm having to build sumps that will fit in the front of the unit at an angle and turn. What clear tube are you referring to as the picture I have at this time does not have any plumbing installed in the aquarium. The dollie sounds interesting I will have to think about using that idea...thank you!!!