Zaphods 210 Build

zaphod1

Membership Expired
I had Planet Aquarium rebuild my tank as I didn't trust the integrity of the silicone as the tank had sat for a long time dry. I also had them drill and make the unit saltwater ready so I wouldn't have to worry about that part of my build. By far hands down if you don't want to worry about your tank seals and don't possess the skills to rebuild your tank I would give them a call.
While they had the tank I had to get busy sanding, staining and lacquering the stand so it would be ready for the tank when I got it back...mainly cause I didn't want to pick this heavy dude up myself or have to have an army over here to do it.

I welcome any suggestions or questions as I proceed with my build. Here it is for your enjoyment.

[attachment=0]Zaphods_210.jpg[/attachment]

I have asked a few people on the forum for some ideas but, was wondering if anyone had any ideas for sumps as I was going to run a sump and refug underneath the tank...what makes this build interesting is that the clearance is difficult due to the struts in the back and front being off from each other. The two sumps I have will not work and I will be selling them on line soon....if someone needs a sump...one is new the other is old and has been modified heavily.

I'm Sure Marc could design you something to fit your needs....
Can the panel on the end be removed to Slide the sump from the side?
Maybe two sumps smaller than the openings?

A lot of the time the cripples/fascia board (struts) is only held in place with four screws in the back. Most cabinet makers use pocket screws to hold them in place and make everything look nice. If possible, you can remove them and have all the space you need to place your sump/sumps in and any equipment and then just reattach them when you are finished. 99% of the time they are there to give doors something to screw to or overlap the space between the doors, but I wouldn't swear to it since you have an open bottom stand. Normally they are not load bearing. I would do this while the tank was empty, just to make sure. Hope this helps save you some money.

This stand is over build for the aquarium and has no moving parts and is screwed and glued so theres no taking this thing apart ever....without destroying it. I will have to post some pics of the sumps I have as one fits and is a disaster and the other is too long to turn under the limited space I have under the tank.

Is the top of the stand solid? If not you could slide the tank to one side and put it in from above. Other than that you could Cut a hole in the end or use Two separate sumps

http://www.melevsreef.com/install_sump.html

http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/side/sump_model_i.html

@Wes wrote:
Is the top of the stand solid? If not you could slide the tank to one side and put it in from above. Other than that you could Cut a hole in the end or use Two separate sumps http://www.melevsreef.com/install_sump.html http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/side/sump_model_i.html said:
Or if no cross bracing along bottom of stand. Lift stand up and move sump in place and set back down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I just didn't want to get something under there I could never get back out with cutting it apart what do y'all think?

I understand that for sure, I'm actually cutting a sump out that can't be removed for this exact reason in a week or two once melev finishes my new sump. Not really a problem for me as it couldn't be resold anyways, beings the old one is leaking and all. Didn't buy a melevs sump the first time around and this is what I get for it. Just don't use all of the space and make sure you plan out everything you want under there, running it by everyone here before committing. Then you should be fine. Nothing wrong with the two sump method thoughtful you are really worried you may have to remove it later while the tank is still running.

Or if no cross bracing along bottom of stand. Lift stand up and move sump in place and set back down. said:
[smilie=shake.gif] [smilie=clapping.gif]

Wow, that was super obvious! Which makes me feel even dumber for not thinking of it.

lol

That would be easy if the tank didn't weigh as much as it does....1/2 in glass makes this a really heavy boy. I think I will just get Marc to custom me a sump and a refuge so I can connect them together in series that way if something were to go crazy I can still get them out from under the tank when it has water in it....I don't plan on draining that any time soon when I put water in it.

Any suggestions of different filter designs...ie. carbon, Kalc reactors...I want to set this dude up right the first time. Curious as to what everyone else has running under the hood.

Just take into consideration where you want to start and where you might go with your corals and fish load. If you know at some point you will have a heavy load of SPS, then you will either want dosers or Calcium reactor. Kalk mixer possibly. Biopellets, Carbon, GFO and then draw it all out first and see how you like it. For me personally, access and simplicity is the key. If its hard to mess with or a pain to clean, I stayed away from it.
I will tell you from personal experience that Marc builds an awesome sump. My setup gave me a really big footprint and he made a monster sump for me. It has worked out great so far and I am really glad that I made the investment in it.

Here is the link to my build in case you aren't very familiar with the work he does. Its about 1/3-1/2 way down the page. He can really make any kind of sump you dream up, and I bet he already has a design that will solve your problem.
http://dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=104402&start=120

Thank you for the link that gives me more ideas on the sump and refuge I need to build....did your skimmer have to sit in the sump or is that just what you wanted...I have a reef octopus and believe that its build to run out of the box....I could be wrong though...I need to look it up.

How tight have y'all twisted the bulkheads down? I don't want to crack the glass getting stupid over tightening them.

Super I will do this as some of the things I have read and watched on YouTube seemed to show them over tightening them....YouTube is not always be best place for info.