Yellow Fiji Leather

Hi,

I got my first Yellow Fiji Leather on Thursday and the next day it started to inflate and extend some of its polyps. Then after a while it would close up again, it did that a few times and now for the past 2 days it has stayed closed. I got it about halfway in the tank where it gets the most light and its getting alot of flow. Does it just take them a while to get over being shipped or could it be something else?

The Fiji Yellow Leather is the most difficult leather to keep. What type of flow and lighting do you have?

Well, from my personal experience with these leather I would recommend that you place it as close to your lighting as possible. Also, like most leathers I treated mine to moderate to strong water flow.

T5s are great when they are driven properly and have individual bulb reflectors.

If lighting and water movement are not the problem then I would look for signs of some kind of irritant. I don't necessarily mean from other corals but more along the lines of injury and infection.

Could you post actual values for you water quailty to help paint a more full picture?

They do seem sensitive I had my hand in the water for just a second and it closed up even more.

Ammonia 0.0 ppm
Nitrite 0.0 ppm
Nitrate 0.0 ppm
Calcium 420 ppm
Phosphate: 0.0
PH 8.4
alk (ran out of tests) I need to buy more :D

I have a couple of them. I received a beautiful one from our sale forum last year. It was kept under PC's and huge. I put it at the bottom of my 90G that has 4x54w T5s right now and it seems happy. There are days when it acts moody like leathers do and doesn't polyp out but other than that it is thriving.

Then I have another tiny frag I bought a couple of years ago..this was so small it was lost in the tank a couple of times...it has finally grown into a little leather...it is midway in the tank.

The good news is even if they are "moodie" mine definitely seem indestructible!