Will this work or do u have a better idea?

Would be fine but would probably float, foam background? The one with rock and sand mixed in?

I'd just velcro that to the outside. While the material would probably be okay in the tank, all those holes are going to be debris magnets and you'll end up with all sorts of crud in them.

FWIW I went to a sign shop and bought some vinyl. It looks like I painted the back but the vinyl will just peel off if I want it to.

I have the corrugated plastic on my tank. I just have it fastened with velcro to the top and bottom. It works great and easily removeable for when I need to see into the back of the tank. It looks as though it is painted from the front. I would highly suggest it on the outside. As long as you have a stable rock structure you won't have to worry about it scratched your glass cause that only really happens if they fall.

foam background as in how about a foam background? the kind with rock and sand in it.

@acat1976 wrote:
dave- could I seal the edges with silicone to keep the debris out of it? I just dont want the glass to get scratched said:
You could, trick would be getting a nice bead to hold up on the edge without looking like crap.

Why put it inside though?? If its against a wall, whats the problem with the velcro?

The vynil stuff T8T mentioned is a great product too and a bit more secure (no velcro).

@acat1976 wrote:
I am wanting something on the inside of the tank to protect the glass from LR scratching it incase i want to view from that side later on.. said:
I've never seen a tank scratched due to LR laying on it. The only time it would scratch it is if it slipped or was banged against it while being placed. If you are careful and place it securely, so it doesn't move you should not have to worry about that. Use PVC or Acrylic Rods to double anchor/secure it and you can have it sitting 1/2" or so off the glass.

Otherwise, use eggcrate and the foam for a false wall.

Those would be my recommendations.

I would sit back and review what you are trying to do. You are taking these precautions to avoid scratching the inside of your tank wall. Scratching occurs 3 ways.... 1)Putting rock into the tank; 2)Taking rock out of the tank; 3)Rock falling when already placed inside the tank.

I think you should focus on those three things because what you are essentially doing is planning to put rock in while the tank is against the wall. Then if you move the tank to the divider area, you will more than likely take the rock out and have to put it back in, unless of course you move the tank with the rock still in it risking the rock falling.

I know a lot of us are very impatient in the hobby, but from the sounds of it, it might be worth your cause to work out just making it a divider tank so you don't have to disturb it down the road.