Will cleaner shrimp eat peppermint shrimp?

dynomonkey

Membership Expired
Will my cleaner shrimp eat my peppermint shrimp? My cleaner shrimp started chasing my peppermint shrimp about 3 months ago and hasn't stopped. Today my peppermint shrimp is DOA. Just wondering if my cleaner did it. Any thoughts? What kind of shrimp should I replace it with?

Its not unknown... but it is rare. Cleaner shrimp are pretty docile, but if they are not getting enough to eat, they will be more aggressive. The blood red cleaners are more aggressive and peps will eat each other.

When you notice something going after another critter, its either for food or territory. You can drop extra food in or target feed them to help keep that down to a minimum.

Fish are the usual suspects.
I have lost dozens to fish that aren't suposed to eat them,
but whether you feed the fish to little and they get hungry
or too much and they become pigs they can and will eat shrimp.
I lost an 8 year old cleaner shrimp to a docile fish last month
when the shrimp darted out at feeding time and
the fish got startled and bit his head off.
He didn't even want to eat him.
You just never know.
At least peps are cheap.

Although not trying to put personality to cleaner shrimp one of mine did. I have two cleaner shrimp in my 20L and I tried adding 2 peppermint. I watched over them for a few minutes. My cleaner shrimp are described as: one docile, shy, the other mean, aggressive, bold. So the shy shrimp stayed to itself, while Boldy came over to check out the peppermint. I watched and he just tapped on it with his antennae and did nothing more.... until I turned my back. I went back to my desk to work and about 5 minutes later turned to see it chasing a very petrified peppermint. I snatched the peppermint by hand, and it was more than willing to jump into my hand at that point and I put it in my 12g where I had another peppermint. The 2nd peppermint in the 20L became dinner as I never saw it again.