Why would you use RC or R2R over DFWMAS?

BrianC

Membership Expired
My parents taught me if you wanted to make friends or meet a girl find a hobby. I get the Reef Central and Reef2 Reef have larger audiences and more threads But, all the above is why I'm not using those sites.My question is why would anyone use those sites that seem to focus on California when we can build a better one? My name is Brian, and I'm a saltwater enthusiast. If anyone on here would like to make a friend or needs help I'm available most days. I'll 90% sure be at the club meeting and hope to meet anyone who is a saltwater enthusiast/ hobbyist looking to make friends! Also, if there is an LFS that would like to host a social, I will attend and even help out!!!  

That's what this club is all about.  I've made many good friends through DFWMAS.  It's always good to find others that share the same interests as you.  I look forward to meeting you in person at a club event soon!

Ditto! It seems like SO MANY people on the forum are interested in; <ol>[*]Learning how to setup a tank.[*]How to make money in the hobby. (Not break even but, profit).[*]Buying in or selling out.</ol>I think 1 and 3 are great. 2 irks me a bit. But, those aren't the reason there is a club. The club is:<ol>[*]to make friends with people with similar interests[*]The advancement of the hobby - I'm ok with people making money if they advanced the hobby (Marc is a great example)[*]Protection of the NATURAL environment through conservation, education, and captive propagation. (We are or should be a "green" organization).</ol>But, most importantly, I'd like to make friends and get my family mom interested in the hobby. I met JB the other night and his kids are both pretty cool - love the hobby also ex US Marine...

I agree Brian!  I never go on those other sites, but I refresh the recent posts on here multiple times a day.  I like that I personally know a lot of the people that frequent the forum and the meetings.  If I have a basic question that I know has already been answered a million times, I can google search it and possibly find the answer on one of those sites.  I enjoy the smaller group and I don't think we need to compete with those guys.

I agree, there is no reason to compete. This is a local club and its website is intended for members and the local user group. I am sure many people, outside our local area, do find info here that is useful and that's great too. I see this as a local place to collaborate and meet new people to enjoy the hobby with. I am on those other sites occasionally, but usually just to share some knowledge to help someone else in the hobby, just like I do here.  Just like to help anywhere I can.

Why would you limit yourself to a source of information? I hit those sites and a few more. There are a ton of very knowledgeable people here and out there. The fish disease experts on R2R helped me to save my Swallowtail Angelfish when I was sure it wasn't going to make it. Take advantage of everything that's available.

... I looked up tips for making zooanthid flourish, on reef central... But, I didn't post a question and I started on yahoo for that... I have nothing against red or RC but, I'm going to help build this resource first.

I have not been active on forums or club for a while, I bowl on Wednesday nights so can't make meeting but it sure seems dead on here compared to a year or two ago.