When you first see someone's aquarium, what do you...

what do you notice first?

the fish? corals? equipment? stand? silicone? rockwork?

Just curious what "fashionable" things people notice first generally. I know when we look at a cool car or an attractive man/woman we each gravitate toward something first. So what's your obsession?

I notice the over flow placement first, and then wether or not they have mirrors on the back walls.
:wink: HA HA
Drew

For me the color of the lighting is what makes a difference in things i look at first. The more blue brings out the color of the corals so i notice them first along with the colors of the fish.
The more white seems to bring out the rocks and sand and the things that grow out or around it for me.
That's just how I see things when i look at tanks, although the equipment is also a big part of what i look at also to see how the beauty of the tank is able to function on a daily basis.

If I don't see any VorTech pumps, I turn and leave quickly.

:lol: Just kidding!

I think I look at the corals first, then the layout of the tank, and then the fish. Unless they have a spectacular fish as their showpiece.

However, if the tank is a rimless AGE with a Sfigoli light fixture over it, I see that way before I see all the L.E. corals inside.

naka1.jpg
alt="">

Tank overall layout (how does it look in the room, etc) then the rockwork (please not another back to front downward sloping rockwalll running the length of the tank), then the fish as I'm always looking for unusual things there. Then the corals. It's not that I like the corals less just they don't move so I can slowly work form one side to another.

Lastly the equipment is always interesting and fun to look at. It's why I love tank tour's so much there is always something to learn about setup and seeing all the different ways really lets you choose best practices!

i think it's the color that really pops out at me or any brightly colored fish or coral. i would say that is what most non hobbiest see first as well.

us reef nerds are different though. we always have to see what others have to know what upgrades we need, lol! ;)
josh

I first notice the tank's placement in the room, then the tank's construction itself, then the fish, then the aquascaping, then the equipment, and lastly the corals. Now if they have a hard to get angelfish, I may not get past the fish noticing.

I tend to look at the overall appearance. does it balance out in the room it's in, what's the light spectrum, how's the stand/canopy look, then I look into the tank to see rockwork, coral choices and fish, any cool or interesting ways of doing something then start to really look over the tank for Aptasia, GHA, Cyano, etc. if the tank looks good and seems to be maintaining itself well, then I'll pick the brain of who owns the tank. "How did you do this?" or "did you run into any problems with that?" If we can share info then we both gain from it.

I'd have to say room placement first, then color/spectrum of the lighting, then corals, then just drool over the rest as I don't know what much of anything is, lol.

First how it looks from a distance (the aesthitics, how it looks & fits into the room) ... then corals, fish, lighting and then I want to know how it's all put together (equipment, etc).

I usually check out the room/room placement, then the aquascaping.
But an important factor in the aquascaping is the lighting of course... :)