What's on my Acan

Grumpyfish

Premium Member
Hi everyone, Last night I noticed something going on with my acan. I don't know whether it's something growing on it or whether it's the acan itself. Any ideas? It's not too far from one of my torches, so perhaps the torch is stinging it.  I hate to move the acan since it seemed pretty happy until now.  I also have a tuxedo urchin. Maybe the acan didn't appreciate the urchin's latest drive-by. View attachment 4658View attachment 4659Thanks. 

Not from that particular torch, but that doesn't mean it's not extending them late at night.  I will relocate one or the other when I get home tonight.  Of course, it may be too late for the acan, but we'll see.  I wish I had noticed this sooner.  Thanks a bunch, Chris. 

Yeah I would move one or the other and see how it looks in a week or two, but I bet it will pull through.

My guess is the Torch.  What it that on the other side, a Hammer, or Frogspawn?  I hate when this happens.

I think you're right, MartinMan.  It was probably the torch.  I moved the acan last week, and I think it's doing better.  This was actually the first time this has happened in my tank.  I hated that it happened, but it was kind of amazing too.  That's a small frogspawn behind it in the picture. 

I was lucky.  The damage literally happened overnight.  I really need to find a better place for the torch too because there's a big hammer coral shading it, which may have prompted the sweeper tentacles.  I really need a bigger tank! 

Had same thing happen to a couple of mine in low flow areas, tested day prior to incident no ammonia and day after tank had ammonia and acans in my wife's 20 gallon had this on them, with nothing around all we have in her tank is acans with reasonable room. it is like a film or mucus that covers the acans usually it can be blown off does it come off easily and look as though the acans are receding?

I forgot to answer your question, but better late than never.  It must have blown off on its own because the acan looks fine now that it's not getting the crap stung out of it every night.