What is your tank raised clownfish like?

I bought a black t/r occelaris several weeks ago for my smaller tank.....is he a weirdo or is this normal behavior for a t/r clownfish? He sticks to the left, upper side of the tank and thats it. He swims around up there, but never goes near the live rock or the rtba we have. he also doesn't really like mysis shrimp or any other type of "normal" fish favorites, but he sure will gobble those pellets down...when I first got him, he was terrified of the angelfish at first too even though the angelfish never harassed him.

Anywho, any one else experience this or is mine just the dummy clownfish?

My JCA Picasso has been hanging out by my overflow on the top left of my tank. This started recently after he started getting bullied by the female a little more than normal. Both my clowns sleep up there but my female is all over the tank.

I had a Clarkii for a while that always hung out it the same place. At the time I had a purple dottyback that bullied him and he was scared to venture around.

Maybe he's still getting used to the other inhabitants?

That's a tank raised clown for ya! These guys have been bred in captivity for so long that many have lost most natural instincts. It takes them a bit longer to recognize nems and other reef inhabitants as they spend their entire lives in bare tanks surrounded by hundreds of their brothers and sisters. They haven't ever seen a rock or corals or other fish before at all. Give them some time to settle in and they usually take up the normal behaviors we all love and hate so much.

Brandon

When I got my pair 4 years ago they took to the frogspawn to host it along with xenya that was in the tank at the time. When I put a nem in tank they moved over to it. I think it is all about the fish and people have said that they have even had troubles with wild caught taking to a nem. That is why I say it is the fish itself. Here is a picture of mine in their favorite place.

alt="">

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of the angelfish bothering him, but I've never seen it happen. I used to have a scissortail dartfish in there too that I never saw being bothered, but who knows for sure. The angelfish is clever and sneaky lol.

So the breeders never put any rocks or anything else in with the babies? I hope he acts like a normal fish one day, I feel bad for him. He's not even curious about the rock or corals in the tank :(

Do you guys think i need to find him a buddy? He's the only clownfish in the tank, I didn't get a 2nd clownfish cause the tank isn't terribly big. Thanks guys!

What kind of bio filtration would you use in a grow out tank? One of these days id like to try to breed some sw fish :D

they start out with a daily wter change and then after a few weeks I added a sponge filter and went to weekly water changes.

@hooterhead wrote:
That's a tank raised clown for ya! These guys have been bred in captivity for so long that many have lost most natural instincts.. said:
hmmnnn .... living / breeding in the wild for 1000s of years.

First tank bred less than 50 years ago.

Lost all their "natural instincts"?

Probably not yet.

...Obviously I exaggerated... After being in this business as long as I have, you notice trends. Ten years ago, mass produced tank raised clowns were different. Fewer defects, colors were 'deeper', and they typically took to anemones quicker. Time in captivity and inbreeding have absolutely taken their effect on the breed.

Do I have data to back this up? No. But it's something I've noticed.