what is this

Do not scrape it off that will spread it. What are your parameters? Also Ive heard that emerald crabs eat that stuff.

Sent from inside the shark tank!

@Burbarry wrote:
Do not scrape it off that will spread it. What are your parameters? Also Ive heard that emerald crabs eat that stuff. Sent from inside the shark tank! said:
Serious? Cuz the lfs i do some work at just scraps it off the plugs they get in and ive never seen any of it come back

Looks like Sailors eye algae. You don't really want to rupture them inside the tank from what I've heard.

You can bust it in the tank. I got rid of several about 6 months ago. I used a small siphon with a hard plastic tube beveled at the end. The bevel allows you to push it out of its spot. The syphon sucks it into the tip and then you can pull it out. Comes out in bunches if you do it right. I also had to bust a few of them because I couldn't get it to come loose. I just made sure I had the syphon going and sucked the water up all around it and then picked at it until it came off. Never saw another bubble again. We just sold the tank and I inspected each rock. Not a single bubble. We also bought an emerald crab after this procedure. So it may have kept them at bay too.

Looks like to me that you can pry that stuff off with a flat head screw driver. I does sort of look like bubble algae. Be sure not to puncture it. Just dig the screw driver into the rock around it and it will go underneath the bubbles. I have done that in the past with no issues.

This looks like a variety of bubble algae. I always see it written that you should not rupture these in the tank or it will spread, however no one has been able to tell me how emerald's or rabbitfish can eat this stuff without rupturing it.

Cheers,

The not busting it in the tank thing is not proven. Those who have it come back all the time have nutrient issues or they wouldn't have algae at all. I've busted plenty in tanks over the years & not had it return until I got it in on another frag.

Bubble algae can take on different forms,that pictured is one of them.

Sushi......bubble algae can also survive on pretty low nutrient levels, that why our tanks can be clear until we introduce it via frag's, LR etc. Here's a link describing the different bubble algae types. http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-02/hcj/feature/index.php

Cheers,

That is bubble algae i busted them at first in my tank and it was a big mistake. I take the rock out if it has no coral and get the stuff off

that there electronic note pad

I was unable to take the rock out because it was one of my base rocks. I would have had to take a bunch of rock out. That's why I looked for the syphon alternative. It grabs on to them so they don't float away and also sucks up the spores if you accidentally bust it.