What is this?!?! Please help ID

Tabi1720

Membership Expired
It was stuck on my glass. I thought it was coralline and went to scrape it off. When I touched it, it started swimming. [attachment=2]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396018134.069411.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396018183.984171.jpg[/attachment][attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396018236.835147.jpg[/attachment]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took it out of my tank but I'm keeping it in a container of water in case it's good.

Looks like a flatworm of some sort. I'm not sure if it's good or bad or indifferent though.

Hard to tell but I'd say you did a good thing removing it.

Especially since after much closer inspection I realized that there was one on my ricordia Yuma and a bunch all over a striped mushroom that randomly appeared on a rock of wildflower mushrooms. I thought it was just like that until I put a turkey baster over it and sucked them all up!

That is the one issue I've found with flatworms. When I've had them I've never noticed them really harming anything other than the mushrooms. They would basically cover them up and they would starve to death from lack of light, or at least that is my theory. I don't know if the flatworms are really trying to kill them or if they are just eating something the mushrooms secrete.

I was also going to say, if you found one then you do have others, but I see you already found that out. I've used a couple of the different chemicals that get rid of them and I haven't found one brand to be better than another. Just follow the directions. Certain wrasses will also eat them but it is hit or miss if you get one that will eat them. I had a yellow coris wrasse that would eat them. I've read a target mandarin will eat them but mine never would touch them.

I found one in my old reef tank many years ago. I was told it was a flatworm. It eats coral, zoas and softies.

Now that I know what to look for I'll just keep sucking them up and flushing them when I see them. If it gets too bad then I'll try chemicals but I have a very fragile Ritteri nem and I don't want to risk harming it. My ocellarises would be crushed!