What are you using for salt mix and why?

mossjer

Membership Expired
Just like it says. It looks like most of the LFS around me are using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. Should I keep going on this path when I start making my own water? Or is there possibly something better out there?

It seems a lot of people are switching to Fritz RPM.  It mixes up fast and clear (just don't heat it while you mix it).  Parameters after mixed are what most people keep their reef tanks.

Depends on what you want to run your tank at. Softies and Anemones can take swings more than SPS.  I used Red Sea Pro for years but when I started an SPS tank I had trouble with the ALK high and low nutrient. I just could not balance the tank. Seems I would get it "just right" and then do a water change and start over. I switched to Salinity but I could not get an even mix each time without rolling the buckets every week or so. I'm lazy. I don't want to fiddle

And I hit the wrong button and sent before I finished, ARRRGHHHI use Fritz now due to ALK level where I want it. I have a low bio-load so Fritz works for me. Instant Ocean may work for you. It's really what works for you and how you have your tank set up.  I have not used Instant Ocean in 15 years . . . .  I know people in the group that use it and love it. It is REALLY what works for you. 

I use Fritz RPM. I used Salinity at first but ended up with too much residue. I heard good reviews with Fritz, so I switched and never looked back. Mixes quick, clear, good parameters and mixing container is a lot cleaner!

Many years ago I used Reef Crystals exclusively in my previous tank, and when I setup the new one I went back to it, but I changed over due to the film left behind in the mixing container. From there I tried Fritz (original), Oceanic, Seachem, Tropic Marin, and Aqua Vitro.I now use Kent or Coralife, whichever is priced right at the time of purchase, and usually buy 3 or 4 boxes at a time.

I use a combination of three different vendor salts to get what I want.  I know that is a bit odd but, each has its strength and weakness in elements provided and how that element is absorbed by our critters. What I have found works in my glass box world and since I am the ruler of it and my subjects seem happy...I will keep doing it.