Waterproof LED Light Strip

DGAM

Premium Member
So I went to this store called LED City in Dallas today and purchased a waterproof LED strip for my refugium. Does anyone see anything wrong with using a little silicone and applying this to the inside of the fuge? They assured me its waterproof. As far as the materials go, is there anything I should be concerned about negatively affecting the fish?

Thanks!

Fish don't care about lighting. The only possible negative I could think about with your plan is stray voltage in the water column, but you can check that with a voltmeter. Do you know the spectrum of the LED's?

@Mike R wrote:
Do you know the spectrum of the LED's? said:
This would be my first question, too. Next is, does it really need to be IN the water? It might work fine but it just seems like it's asking for trouble.

First of all there won't be any fish in the refugium. Just cheato and miracle mud. Didn't mention that sorry. The light is 6500K. I was thinking that instead of inside the water I could affix it to a piece or acrylic and mount it above or outside the tank somehow. Just thought that since its waterproof why not? But I hear silicon isn't good on acrylic and super glue eats away at it so, just thinking what could be used to make the led strip stick to the refugium, outside or in.