Want to build a weir for non-RR tank, how?

Spar

Premium Member
I want to put in a weir to one side of my tank so that I can put equipment in it, kind of like a pseudo overflow and sump. I will have a pump pushing water back to the other side to keep the 'overflow' effect going. So I need to put in either glass or acrylic and then silicone it in place. Is glass the best option for this? Will acrylic be ineffective?

Assuming I go with glass, where is my best option to get an exact fitting piece of glass? Is there a specific glass I should get that will withstand drilling? Specific type of silicone?

Any alternate ideas that anyone would recommend?

I had thoughts of doing this same thing in a 20H. I would use 3/8" plexiglass and cut teeth in the part you wanted to overflow. It would be easy to drill holes in or attach other pieces or plexiglass for compartments. Try regal plastics for plexiglas and the glue. You can use any silicone that doesn't contain any anti-mildew chemicals.

If you use glass, leave an 1/8" gap on each end for the aquarium-safe silicone to fill. You can glue a section of eggcrate (lighting diffuser) on the top of the glass to act as the teeth or comb that keeps livestock in the display section.

Do not use windowpane glass. 1/4" or thicker. You don't need it be tempered, but it would be good to get smoked glass because it would hide all the stuff happening behind the panel.

If you want to use acrylic instead, the thickest black acrylic available locally is 1/4". It may need a little reinforcing to avoid bowing, but some small pieces can be affixed in the back like wedges or cross bracing to keep it straight.

How/where would I get the glass cut?

This is just my fish QT (a 75g), so I don't really care much if the glass or acrylic is dark. Given that, would the 3/8" acrylic be the better (and easiest) method? Or am I overthinking how difficult it will be to get a correct size glass cut-out?

Also worth noting is that I will have a Hang-on Skimmer sitting on the Weir (body in "overflow" and input/output in main display portion). This may assist in warping the acrylic?

Go look up matt_longview's tank build thread. He did the same exact thing you are wanting to do, but in a 29 gallon.

I get my glass from a place in Allen. They will cut to size. for get what it is called but it's off allen dr, in allen. do a google search you should find it.

Contact any glass / window shop. You will want it cut to size, and then the edges should be polished so you don't get sliced when working around that piece both during the install and any time you reach in your sump in the future.

id be curious to see how this turns out, from what I can tell getting glass cut to order is as expensive if not more so than acrylic. I dont have much personal expierance buying acrylic or glass but have heard from another member that it was pricy for the glass.

Just because im curious, why go through all the effort of bulding a HOB or weir box instead of just getting and over flow to slap on the back and running a sump? Seems like it might be more cost effective and simple.