Vi's new 1100gal. build

Thanks. Will certainly look into those skimmers. Ordered 10 hydra 52 today. Hopefully they are enough

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

@Matt wrote:
Seems like you could get a very good skimmer that is plenty adequate for less than $5K. said:
Yep, but.... Two things you don't skimp on, well 3 really. Tank.... Skimmer... and lighting. On a tank that size, adequate becomes a major cluster down the road. Do it right the first time.. Hes using a premium tank builder so match that with a premium skimmer and he will be well onto the road to reef harmony and delight.

What's your plan for flow?

@DaveJ wrote:
[I]@Matt wrote:[/I][quote="Seems like you could get a very good skimmer that is plenty adequate for less than $5K. said:
Yep, but.... Two things you don't skimp on, well 3 really. Tank.... Skimmer... and lighting. On a tank that size, adequate becomes a major cluster down the road. Do it right the first time.. Hes using a premium tank builder so match that with a premium skimmer and he will be well onto the road to reef harmony and delight.

What's your plan for flow?"]
Planning on going with 2mp60, tunze wave boxes and a closed loop setup. Will go from there and see if need more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After talking to Vincent and Tommy at Mid Cities decided to go with EV2000. They said it is good skimmer and that is what they use on their fish holding system. Will try it out, can always change later it's pretty cheap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@fusionvi wrote:
How about http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaC_EV_2000_Protein_Skimmer_In_Sump_Spray_Injection_Protein_Skimmers_For_Tanks_Over_350_Gallons-AquaC-AC1251-FIPSISSIOT-vi.html Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk said:
I doubt that skimmer would keep up with a 1000g system. I had one (Ev-200) for my 55g and it was so-so. Good enough, but nothing like the skimmers we have now.

@fusionvi wrote:
After talking to Vincent and Tommy at Mid Cities decided to go with EV2000. They said it is good skimmer and that is what they use on their fish holding system. Will try it out said:
Have to agree with Marc.. that skimmer is like 4 generations from being current if not more. Kinda like putting an 8 track in a benz. But hey, its your system and $. One of the lessons many people learn late is that long-term upkeep of large systems is more cost effective when you buy the right equipment from the get go. Now you don't have to go with something like the Bubble Kings.. but you certainly don't want to go back to 2000 technology. Go cone and high liter/volute output with an energy efficient pump system that's not going to add heat to the system. Look at the reef octopus commercial grade skimmer or vertex.. they are about half as much as the BKs... and are current technology.

Mixing wave boxes and vortecs may not be the best option either. Going 4 MP60 placed on the ends and back firing forward will allow you to control it to produce any wave or current settings you want, wave, tidal etc... Waveboxes only have 1 setting and they don't blend well with the vortecs... I had one on my tank and it was a constant battle between the vortecs and wavebox even with the apex. 4 MP60 or even 6.. 2 on the ends and 2 set on the back firing forward. 1000G is a lot of water to push around. I've got 2 MP60 and 2MP40 on my 300G and still think it needs more flow to really get things going. I'll probably add 2 more MP60 in the coming months. Remember as the tank grows and the corals get bigger, youll have a lot of mass to get around with flow. When its just rock or small colonies, the water flows much different than it does when things fill in.

Whats the plan for chiller? You'll probably need a commercial version. You going to dose or use a reactor? With the drain available, you plan on constant water change system? What about the sump? You running DSB, remote DSB? Fuge? Bare bottom?

I agree with Dave go bubble king. I have a gen 1 bubble king which is prob 6-7 yrs old and it still runs like a champ. What sets bk apart is the red dragon pumps if you do regular maintenance they last forever plus they are low wattage compared to EV you need to use a pressure rated pump. Look at most high end tanks majority of them use bk as they are top of the line. Once you own a bk you will never go back in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Marc, DaveJ and kuyatwo for your feed back. I will certainly look into getting a different skimmer.
DaveJ, I currently have a 1hp chiller that was on my 650 that I am planning on using on this tank. I have not thought about constant water changes, if someone with knowledge and experience can guide me on that setup I would certainly like to do it. I have. Ordered a 300gal sump to go with the tank. As far as san is concerned I was planning on going with special grade arag-alive but just about 2" deep.

http://www.myreefcreations.com/product-lines/protein-skimmers/commercial-skimmers/mr-c4848.html

the MRC skimmer still requires a high pressure pump = big electric draw .. that is the beauty of the new style ... big energy savings

Not sure how accessible the skimmer will be but on Venturi style skimmers you need to clean the injectors as they get clogged in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venturi skimmers are old tech too.You'll also be spending an additional 200-400 on a pump for it, which will not be nearly as energy efficient but will also add heat to the tank and tank room and despite what you hear, Reeflo pumps (which is their recommended) wear out on a regular basis. I have gone through 4 reeflo pumps which I use as my main pump in 3 years. They no longer use the Baldor motor so they are not quite the same quality as before. Luckily their customer service is still pretty good, but youll end up buying 2 to have one on hand to keep as a swap out replacement.

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/super-reef-octopus-sro-8000ext-commercial-protein-skimmer - this is the not the best, but its MUCH better than the other two.

1Hp may be enough.... I am not quite as up to speed on chillers but that seems about right. Constant water change will require a large holding tank for water. Are you building in enough room for water storage etc? Rule of thumb.. have enough production/storage capacity to change replace your entire system in 24 hrs.

What about ventilation in the room? Deumidifiers? Venting?

I think I will be ordering bubble king in near future. I am going to go with two 250gal holding tanks. One for RO top off and one for Saltwater Mix. I have installed an AC return vent in that room. If the need be i will get a dehumidifier as I already have drain setup. Thanks for all the input guys.

@fusionvi wrote:
I think I will be ordering bubble king in near future. I am going to go with two 250gal holding tanks. One for RO top off and one for Saltwater Mix. I have installed an AC return vent in that room. If the need be i will get a dehumidifier as I already have drain setup. Thanks for all the input guys. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk said:
If you go with the BK, check the leadtime.. the larger models are not always in stock. Time is not critical right now, you still have to get it installed, setup and cycled but you want to be aware of when it can be delivered so you can factor that in.

If you have a return in the room, depending on the AC unit itself, you should be okay. A commercial AC should pull enough moisture out to handle it. You may want to look at a drain upgrade on your AC, something like a larger drain line or make sure the unit can handle the increased moisture draw and not overflow your pan.

250G holding tanks will work fine, the RO/DI unit of course will need to be able to produce that in a day.

Have you called in an electrician for your electrical work yet? Imagine you'll want 2 or 3 dedicated circuits in there with all the equipment.

Back to dosing vs calcium reactor... ? What's the plan there?

@DaveJ wrote:
[I]@fusionvi wrote:[/I][quote="I think I will be ordering bubble king in near future. I am going to go with two 250gal holding tanks. One for RO top off and one for Saltwater Mix. I have installed an AC return vent in that room. If the need be i will get a dehumidifier as I already have drain setup. Thanks for all the input guys. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk said:
If you go with the BK, check the leadtime.. the larger models are not always in stock. Time is not critical right now, you still have to get it installed, setup and cycled but you want to be aware of when it can be delivered so you can factor that in.

If you have a return in the room, depending on the AC unit itself, you should be okay. A commercial AC should pull enough moisture out to handle it. You may want to look at a drain upgrade on your AC, something like a larger drain line or make sure the unit can handle the increased moisture draw and not overflow your pan.

250G holding tanks will work fine, the RO/DI unit of course will need to be able to produce that in a day.

Have you called in an electrician for your electrical work yet? Imagine you'll want 2 or 3 dedicated circuits in there with all the equipment. "]

Lead time on the Bubble King400 for me was around 5 months!! I think they shipped it over on a row boat. Took about 6 weeks to get here after they told me it was built and on the way. That being said it is an unbelievable skimmer. Mine is now sitting in 11 inches of water and I am only able to run one of the pumps. Tommy is building a stand now to put it at 9 inches and we will see. With only one pump it is pulling a ton of nasties out. I will shoot a pic tonight so that you can see what it pulls in a day.
Back to dosing vs calcium reactor... ? What's the plan there?

@fusionvi wrote:
I have not thought about constant water changes said:
A constant water change system at its basic level uses a pump to pull water out and replace the same amount automatically. One of the easiest is to have two ATO setups... one for the water change and the other to handle your evap. Using the controller or timers.. you shut the ATO for RO/DI off... then activate the change system. You'll pump water out, then using the float valve, pump water into the tank to replace what you pumped out. The timers will then deactivate that system and fire up the RO/DI top off like normal. This insures you remove/replace the same saltwater volume quickly and efficiently... and then shut it off and allow evap to be handled via the normal ATO system. The purpose is not only to reduce the amount of work you need to do, but will insure your parms are stable and remove nitrates etc. It takes time to tune it, but once you get it going, all you need to do is keep your saltwater mixed and check salinity once a week to insure your stable.

On a 1000G, you'll want to do about 25% weekly depending on load... so figure 35G a day roughly for 245 gallons a week. You can adjust that as needed of course.

Since you are not doing a DSB... whats the overall plan for nitrate/PO4 control? The skimmer will help considerably of course as will the constant water changes. You'll want to think about what else you will do to help with that if you find Nitrates and PO4 to be piling up once things are going. That is something you can tackle down the road, but you'll want to think about what methods youll use should it become needed. Pellets, Sulphur Reactor etc... or larger changes.

@Laser wrote:
Lead time on the Bubble King400 for me was around 5 months!! I think they shipped it over on a row boat. Took about 6 weeks to get here after they told me it was built and on the way. That being said it is an unbelievable skimmer. Mine is now sitting in 11 inches of water and I am only able to run one of the pumps. Tommy is building a stand now to put it at 9 inches and we will see. With only one pump it is pulling a ton of nasties out. I will shoot a pic tonight so that you can see what it pulls in a day. Back to dosing vs calcium reactor... ? What's the plan there? said:
Yep.. my reactor just got pushed to end of July which pissed me off royally. If you are going to get one, get on the horn to Aquarium Specialty quickly as they have that July shipment coming. If you wait another few weeks, you may not be able to get it until fall.