Vinegar in tank.

So I have a 55 gal vat that I make my saltwater in. It is installed in my fish room in a corner next to the tank. It is not easy to take outside to clean so I just filled it with 55 gallons of water and 2 gallons of vinegar to try and clean it up some. I was just wondering when I dump that water out through the drain I am sure there will be some residue on the walls of the container. I also won't be able to completely empty the vat since the drain is on the side at the bottom so it doesn't get every last drop. When I make a new batch of saltwater how is the water going to be affected? Should I bring in the water house from outside and rinse it down? Once again I guess I would have to get some dechlorinator to put in there since I wouldn't be able to completely take out all that water as well. Im thinking I can get all but a half a gallon out of the vat. What does everyone think?

The vinegar that is left on the walls should be very little. When you mix that first batch of saltwater be sure to check the PH and adjust it with whatever buffer you may have on hand. Kalk works well, just be sure to give it plenty of time to mix and re-check a couple of times.

Hey Chris,

Do you have a wet/dry shop vac? That would do a good job of getting almost everything out. If not I have one you could borrow.

Just an idea.

Stanley T''' - SALT

I add 100 ml of vinegar intentionally to my kalkreactor whenever I add calcium hydroxide...

I used to dose vinegar to my tank, it will obviously lower pH, but it also provides a carbon source much like sugar or vodka dosing...

It all depends on the amount, if it's under 100 mL or so I wouldn't worry, but much more than that I'd be concerned...

As was recommended, check the pH of the saltwater you mix to make sure it's not too low. You could always add some more water, drain again, add water, drain to half gallon, so the amount of vinegar will be minimal. As Serk said, vinegar is used as a carbon source much like vodka or sugar. However, I would not let water with small amounts of vinegar sit stagnant for too long, or you might find weird bacteria or mold start to grow in it.

@Serk wrote:
I add 100 ml of vinegar intentionally to my kalkreactor whenever I add calcium hydroxide... I used to dose vinegar to my tank said:
Serk, why do you add it to the reactor? Never heard of that before...

@bdare wrote:
Serk said:
The vinegar breaks down the Kalk powder into solution better and allows you to 'super saturate' the solution. Kalk will only dissolve to a certian degree in solution, the vinegar is an acid and will dissolve more into a fluid so its more concentrated. There are still limits on how much additional it will provide, but its a long standing practice for kalk users who want more boost to their powder.

Right... but the vinegar only lasts so long. My understanding was vinegar was more appropriate for kalk reservoirs vs. reactors. Once the vinegar in your reactor has been flushed out by incoming water it looses its effect. Therefore you are dosing higher amounts of Kalk just after the addition of vinegar and less from then on out. Since we try to keep things stable I wouldn't think this would be a good approach.

@bdare wrote:
Right... but the vinegar only lasts so long. My understanding was vinegar was more appropriate for kalk reservoirs vs. reactors. Once the vinegar in your reactor has been flushed out by incoming water it looses its effect. Therefore you are dosing higher amounts of Kalk just after the addition of vinegar and less from then on out. Since we try to keep things stable I wouldn't think this would be a good approach. said:
Yep.. didn't say it was a good method :) Just explained why someone would use the vinegar in combination with the kalk itself. As far as the short term boost vs longer term amounts... with kalk it wouldn't make that much of a difference in most tanks. I say most meaning higher usage tanks because the amount of ca/alk that are supplemented by kalk are small in comparison to those added by a calcium reactor or 2-part system. Many people use kalk reactors not for the cal/alk benefit but the pH boost. You see them a lot with people who run calcium reactors. They DO contribute, but not nearly in the volumes that the cal reactor does.

Most people who use vinegar are dripping the solutions. Though I guess it would depend on how you use the reactor too. If you use the kalk reactor as a dosing mechanism after putting the vinegar in, that would make more sense than one that was tied into an ATO situation.

@DaveJ wrote:
[I]@bdare wrote:[/I][quote="Right... but the vinegar only lasts so long. My understanding was vinegar was more appropriate for kalk reservoirs vs. reactors. Once the vinegar in your reactor has been flushed out by incoming water it looses its effect. Therefore you are dosing higher amounts of Kalk just after the addition of vinegar and less from then on out. Since we try to keep things stable I wouldn't think this would be a good approach. said:
Yep.. didn't say it was a good method :) Just explained why someone would use the vinegar in combination with the kalk itself. As far as the short term boost vs longer term amounts... with kalk it wouldn't make that much of a difference in most tanks. I say most meaning higher usage tanks because the amount of ca/alk that are supplemented by kalk are small in comparison to those added by a calcium reactor or 2-part system. Many people use kalk reactors not for the cal/alk benefit but the pH boost. You see them a lot with people who run calcium reactors. They DO contribute, but not nearly in the volumes that the cal reactor does.

Most people who use vinegar are dripping the solutions. Though I guess it would depend on how you use the reactor too. If you use the kalk reactor as a dosing mechanism after putting the vinegar in, that would make more sense than one that was tied into an ATO situation."]

Yeah... so what is serk thinking??? ;)

Maybe I'm way off, I probably need to test Ca more frequently, but I also evaporate a LOT and thus am refilling my kalk reactor quite frequently too...

Standard YMMV, What works for me may or may not work for you disclaimers apply... :wink: