Upgrade Pump

zaphod1

Membership Expired
Jebao 12000 or Sicce ?? for a 250/300 gal tank what would you club members recommend. Im using a Mag12/14 I cant tell purchased it from a member and forgot to ask.
But, Im starting to get into that problem of putting too many toys off my manifold under the tank and loosing pressure for the exchange of water in the tank.
What are some recommendations as I think I will get two ball valves and keep the mag just in case the replacement pump goes crap as some flow would be better than no flow.
My apex will be setup to monitor the flow so I can then switch pumps when/if Im away and the main pump has issues.

I would go with the Jebao 12000, it is cheaper uses less wattage (dc) and the max head is almost 16ft. The Sicce Syncra 12 is twice as much uses more wattage and you don't gain much on max head.

Any opinions on replacement parts or lifespan of the pumps...I have to pump about 4' and run all my reactors and skimmer off one pump...or is that a bad idea and I should run the skimmer off a separate pump...the skimmer is external...so it needs a feed pump.

@zaphod1 wrote:
Any opinions on replacement parts or lifespan of the pumps...I have to pump about 4' and run all my reactors and skimmer off one pump...or is that a bad idea and I should run the skimmer off a separate pump...the skimmer is external...so it needs a feed pump. said:
To be honest, "If this was my tank" I'm giving my 2cents worth..... [smilie=wink.gif] I wouldn't spend anymore money on a pump for the return. I see that you have ~300 gallon tank and you are running returns, skimmer, and other equipment off of your Mag. The first alarming thing I see, is that apparently you are running a beckett skimmer. I think they are very inefficient compared to the air injected skimmers, especially on a very large aquarium. I would take the beckett skimmer off line, and put my money into a better skimmer. You will then enjoy better water quality and you can plumb more toys off of your return. JMO.

I've been running the Jebao DC12000 since November on my 400G tank, no issues and no noise, it also runs my chiller.

@Matt wrote:
[I]@mtraylor wrote:[/I][quote="[I]@zaphod1 wrote:[/I][quote="Any opinions on replacement parts or lifespan of the pumps...I have to pump about 4' and run all my reactors and skimmer off one pump...or is that a bad idea and I should run the skimmer off a separate pump...the skimmer is external...so it needs a feed pump. said:
To be honest, "If this was my tank" I'm giving my 2cents worth..... [smilie=wink.gif] I wouldn't spend anymore money on a pump for the return. I see that you have ~300 gallon tank and you are running returns, skimmer, and other equipment off of your Mag. The first alarming thing I see, is that apparently you are running a beckett skimmer. I think they are very inefficient compared to the air injected skimmers, especially on a very large aquarium. I would take the beckett skimmer off line, and put my money into a better skimmer. You will then enjoy better water quality and you can plumb more toys off of your return. JMO."]

I think he's running a re-circulating external. I believe it's this one.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/super-reef-octopus-sro-3000ext-8-external-protein-skimmer.html"]

Oh ok. Well that is a Very Nice skimmer. So I guess this means that there is no room in the sump for the skimmer to be internal. I would think the DC pump would work with less electricity and heat going to the aquarium. YOu can get a replacement down the road, in case something happens to the working one. Always good to have backup when going with one pump configuration.

to help everyone understand the skimmer Im trying to drive look at the instructions that came with the unit....they are not very long or very descriptive....except to help you understand the size of the unit and how it connects.
http://blog.coralvue.com/download/7071/

Matt that was the correct one...thank you. I guess I should have put that in here...but, I'm still looking for a pump recommendation from Mtraylor....what do you suggest...Im going to make the mag a backup as it cannot take the load and maintain good flow if I add the skimmer to the manifold.

Thank everyone who has commented so far its given me several choices to look at.

@zaphod1 wrote:
Matt that was the correct one...thank you. I guess I should have put that in here...but said:
I would go with the Jebao 12000, from your two choices. The specs are nice on that pump. As you have been asking, I would wait on some feed back from the people that have them before you pull the trigger. You may find some feed back on quality, etc. on a google search as well. Would be nice to see what people say about them that have had them for a while.

I love my jaebo 12000 it replaced a mag 18. It has a little more power and I needed that for running a reactor off that pump as well as main return. I run mine on full power but on low I think it still does close to a mag 9.5.

People have many opinions on jaebo, waveline or some others its good to hear all the discussion as its helping me make a valuable decision.

Anyone have any long term opinions or revies on the Jebao DC12000. Right now Im using an external reeflo Dart as my return pump. It feeds a manifold that supplies my Biopellets and carbon. The dart is starting to slightly leak, and I am going to get a new sump, so switching to an internal pump would be fine.

Any feedback on their product would be great. All the reviews on amazon are very positive.

So after about 9 months mine stopped working. Luckily I always have a backup pump on hand. Tested it and seems like the motor stopped. Bought a new backup and rolling with it for now. If this one stops at 9 months again I may look at switching to another model. Other then that I love the pump as it has soft startup.

Sent from pay phone in the airport.

Hmm...9 months, well I could just about buy 3 of them for the price of a new dart. So 27 months of operation is a better deal than the life of my dart. I know I can rebuild my dart, but everyone I know who did the rebuild ended up with leaks or noises. Im really tempted to give them a try. Plus I havent been impressed with the noise level of the dart.

We're you operating yours on max speed for the 9 months?

Yes I was running it at full speed. Actually wish I could get just a little more out of it. Like maybe they need to make a 15000 model :)

Oh btw if you order off amazon the new ones have the cage. My old one didn't have the cage.

@FuDz Cwerner wrote:
Hmm...9 months said:
There not doing it right then. A seal can be changed on a dart in about 10 min and be as good as new. It's a $20 part. If you do it wrong like try to pry old seal out with a screw driver you can damage it. But done right it's as good as new.

I love my Jaebo 12000. I am using for flow in my 210. I have had it up and running since July. It is super quiet and has tons of flow. I currently have it at about 40%. I purchased mine from fish street and received it in about a week. Best $100 I've spent. I did order a couple of backups just in case, but for the price and options I think it is a very viable pump.

Thanks for the input guys. I was looking at them on Amazon and think I will order a few and give them a try. And now I can get a new sump too. I love my Octopus 5000 skimmer, but it is a BIG beast!