Turf Scrubber results

Mike R

Membership Expired
View attachment 1993I was a little on the fence about adding a turf Scrubber to my system, but after running it for a couple months I can't be more pleased with the results.  The pic shows 6 days growth.  Nitrates are 3-4 and Phosphates are 0.04Thought I'd share for those who might be considering adding one to their system as well.

My parameters are always in that ballpark.  Pretty stable.  I have a pretty heavy bio load and feed on the heavy side.  My motto is, a fat fish is a happy healthy fish.  I also grow chaeto in a refugium and dose a very low dose of nopox daily to keep No3 in check.  The Scrubber is supplemental and is mainly intended to give nuisance algae a favorable environment to grow in hopes to reduce/eliminate any unwanted algae elsewhere in the system.

So it isn't so much changing your water parameters as it's decreasing nuisance growth in the display (or at least should be helping since there is growth there)?

I'd get some nuisance algae show up in the DT and also the frag tank from time to time, but seeing a lot less of it since adding the ATS.  I'm sure it would help a system that had high nitrates get them down.  I guess it's not really lowering mine mainly due to the fact that they are pretty low to begin with.  It's not healthy to have "0" nitrates.  I strive to keep them below 5.  

That's awesome Mike. I am having the same experience with mine. Nitrates at 1 and I still dose PhosphateRX once a month, but also got rid of my the little bit of cheato that was left because it just keep shrinking. How often are your harvesting/cleaning your ATS? I am doing mine about once a week. I even got a mini drop in one for one of my biocubes to try it out, so we will see how that one goes.

That's great Chris! Yeah, I am harvesting once a week as well. I hope to discontinue the chaeto as well, but as long as it's still growing it is still serving a purpose so I'll keep it going.