Tunze or Ecotech

hitillidie

Membership Expired
2 tunze on multi-controller vs 2 ecotech 40mp? what ya think. I already have the tunze set up + one ecotech. Is it worth it to buy another ecotech and remove the tunzes? Tunzes do about the same as Ecotech? Haden't set it up yet, just planning

Either is a good pump, so you really just have to decide what you want to look at.

you have both so you already know this. Ecotech look clean but the Tunze's cna be pointed in any direction. so i guess it just depends on what you need it for.

Man...I still can't get rid of my Vortechs....just love the fact that there is no cord in the tank and it's less noticeable. I also found out that if I change the ceramic bearing out every 6 months and do periodic maintenance on them, I don't have issues with them. A vortech/tunze nano wavebox combination is very nice :D

Cheers,

This is the one fact about them both that keeps me with Tunze products. I can tell you I have had Tunze Streams running for over 5 years I believe. I can not remember the year they came out exactly. But whatever the year was, I bought two of them when they first came out. Those two pumps including the others I have bought since, including a wavebox are still running with the original parts. Tell me how long anyone has had a Vortec running continuously? Or even how many times you have heard about them breaking down or parts needing to be replaced.

Thanks guys for reaffirming my belief about Tunze. I've had mine for 3 yrs now and love them. I was thinking that the Vortech would be less obtrusive while giving me the same water movement. But when it comes to durability I have never had a problem with my tunzes that a good cleaning didn't solve.

@Rick wrote:
This is the one fact about them both that keeps me with Tunze products. I can tell you I have had Tunze Streams running for over 5 years I believe. I can not remember the year they came out exactly. But whatever the year was said:
i have had my original vortec from when they were released with absolutely no issues. that said, i am all for the vortecs which is the reason i have 4 of them. i have purchased and used two different nanostreams, controllable and non which i do not like at all and i have used the larger version which is better but just too much of an eye sore in my opinion. the one other vortec feature i do like is the battery back up built for it. there are ways to do this with others, but i love being able to simply buy a vortec made battery and plugging it in and you are good to go. they provide for up to 2 vortecs each so my 4 vortecs each have battery backup proved by 2 different batteries. also, i like being able to speak directly with ecotech here in our country to get help versus a german company i have to deal with through 3rd parties. i have dealt with their customer service twice now and it was exceptional both times, quick to replace a part that i broke for free i might add.

Roger with tunze in Austin tx is very easy to work with and turnaround time is very quick. My tunzes have never had an issue just needed new bracket as mine broke during shipment I got the new bracket within two days. They might be alittle obtrusive but I would rather have a working pump 100% or one I don't have to pay extra to have the pump work correctly every year.

@hitillidie wrote:
Thanks guys for reaffirming my belief about Tunze. I've had mine for 3 yrs now and love them. I was thinking that the Vortech would be less obtrusive while giving me the same water movement. But when it comes to durability I have never had a problem with my tunzes that a good cleaning didn't solve. said:
Carl,

Last time I looked at pricing, the newer tunze models actually push more for the $ than the vortecs. That said, the vortecs do have some nice built in features like the different movement modes without plunking down more for a controller, where with the tunzes you do need one. If you already have a multi-controller or the neptune module for that on an ACIII etc, that eliminates the additional purchase and the cost comparison swings in tunzes favor. If you need to purchase one, then they come out about even, depending on the number of pumps you buy. If you need 3 or 4, its in tunzes favor.

These are 'standard pricing' comparisons...

2 Vortecs (419 each) = $838 for @6000gph all movement modes thats $.139 per gallon

2 Tunze 6105's (323 each) = $646 for @6900 gph + Multi-controller $270 = $916 thats $.132 per gallon w/controller. w/o its $.093 per gallon
4 Tunze 6105's (323 each) = $1292 for @13800 gph + Multi-controller $270 = $1562 thats $.113 per gallon w/controller w/o its $.093 per gallon

2 Tunze 6205's (519 each) = $1018 for @11600 gph + Multi-controller $270 = $1388 thats $.087 per gallon w/controller w/o its $.096 per gallon

Those are raw numbers and you can find price breaks if you shop around. Take the controller out of the equation and the cost per gallon pushed is pretty dramatically in tunzes favor to the tune of 33% cheaper.

+1 on the Tunzes. I've had several Tunzes over the years, and Roger at Tunze in Austin is a real pleasure to work with, one of the real credits to the hobby in my opinion. The pumps are extremely reliable and low maintanence, and I like the fact that you can point them in just about any direction, vs. the Vortechs that can only be pointed in one direction.

Dave, don't forget that the new 7096 controller from Tunze is $100 cheaper and you can program thru your pc. Also, you probably should add magnet cost to the tunzes since that is what most people end up using.

I have 2 of the 6000 tunze's plus a 6055 in my 75gal tank and love them. They are "ugly" but I can easily change the direction of the flow which I like. If I could afford it, I would switch out the 6000's with 6055's since they are smaller and you can position them in more directions.

I have the new vortech mini on my 30gal tank and really like it also. For the price I think it works out well for smaller tanks. A comparable tunze and single controller would probably cost $50 to $75 more.

@kuyatwo wrote:
Roger with tunze in Austin tx is very easy to work with and turnaround time is very quick. My tunzes have never had an issue just needed new bracket as mine broke during shipment I got the new bracket within two days. They might be alittle obtrusive but I would rather have a working pump 100% or one I don't have to pay extra to have the pump work correctly every year. said:
I have known Roger Vitko for many years now, since before he was ever the Tunze rep. He was selling lights for Giesemann for years before that. Tunze might be a foreign company but their US dealer is right here in Austin, Tx, and is one of the nicest people you will meet in the aquarium hobby, not to mention what he has done for DFWMAS in the past.

Is there much difference in the quality of flow between the Vortec and Tunze? Does tunze have a reefcrest mode? My MP40 is down for repairs the second time in less than the first year of ownership. I bumped it slightly so it is probably not all Vortecs' fault.

I have used the Tunze pumps for a long time, ~8 years. I have yet to have one of the pumps fail. I really like the look of the Vortechs though. I went to a store and compared the two before I moved up to the 6105's with a controller Tunze 7096 which is about $160.00. I didn't like the look of the cables outside the tank and I was used to the tunzes naturally already. Its a sweet setup, you can actually put the pumps into wave mode and create waves in your tank just like having a wavebox. This controller the 7096 hooks up to your pc/laptop via a USB cable and you have several choices of wave/pulse options for your aquarium. I really like it. It can rock the water out of your aquarium. When you have it on wavemaker mode the pumps do make a knocking noise as they stop and go but you can set them to go to this mode on a storm day every x/days to rock out the sediment. My aquarium is in the living room and I heard the vortec's can be noisy so that was also a decission for me. I dont think you can go wrong with either pump. I have read allot of threads on all of them, so basically it just boils down to a personal choice or what you like to look at or your application. They are both good products and everyone that uses each of them stand behind them, so that means they are well liked. Either way you go, I"m sure you will be happy.

I believe you can bump up the flow on the Tunzes with different covers for water intake. Like putting the 6205 cover on the 6105.