Titus and Jamie's 20g Clown tank build

1 step forward and 2 steps back.... I got it all plumbed up yesterday and leak tested it... all good there. Unfortunately I managed to break off a tooth in the sump that I will need to fix, and I realized that the back of the tank needs another coat of paint.

20120916175602.jpg
alt="">

I added a couple more coats of black paint to the back of the tank tonight. I still need to fix the overflow tooth I broke yesterday, and I want to do some work on the bottom of the stand. I was hoping to install the American DJ PC-100/A that I won at the club meeting last week, but it is too big for the stand. I may look to trade it for a PC4 model but I am not sure yet.

Man, I want a setup like this so bad. If I brought a tank over for you to drill how much would you charge to do it for me? Also, I noticed you have a 26g bowfront in your sig. Where did you get this? Im looking for a reef ready bowfront between 20-30g for my bedroom but no luck.

@Chino wrote:
Man said:
Being that I cracked the first tank I tried to drill, I am not too eager to risk destroying someone else's tank. [smilie=shake.gif] The Bowfront isn't reef ready... just a basic tank. I picked it up in from a member from the classifieds for $30 and found a stand made for it on a Facebook garage sale site for $20. I am running it with a foam filter and heater as a quarantine tank. They seem to pop up on Craigslist too every few weeks.

I purchased a pair of "Todd's Long Island Reds" at MACNA, and they are doing well in QT for now.

201210010955491.jpg
alt="">
201210010956081.jpg
alt="">

I also purchased about 20lbs of Marco rock at MACNA for the tank. I will be working to get the tank up and running by the beginning of next week.

The tank is up and running. I ended up going with an inexpensive fishneedit.com 4x24w T5 fixture that seems to get decent reviews on Nano-Reef. It is running the stock bulbs for now but I plan on replacing them with 2 Blue+, an Aquablue Special, and a Coral+ soon. I also have an old Neptune AC3 controller hooked up to it. It was on my big tank but I recently got an Apex Lite for the big tank and so the AC3 was freed up for this tank. I put my MACNA Maxi-Jet 900 in it for now but it is big and noisy, and really a little too much flow for the tank, so I have a Koralia Nano 425 on order. I haven't had a chance to get the wiring mess cleaned up, but at least the tank has water in it and can begin cycling.

20121010153859.jpg
alt="">

20121010153843.jpg
alt="">

Today I replaced the Maxi-Jet 900 with a new Koralia Nano 425. I love how small and quiet it is compared to the MJ900, but it seems like a lot less than half the flow that the MJ was putting out. I'm glad that it doesn't blow sand everywhere like the MJ, but I am not sure if it is enough flow.

I started with a single 425 for my kids 20g and ended up buying a 240 to add in after seeing how little flow the 425 created by itself.

We just added a couple heads of frogspawn the other day and the kids love watching the pair of false percs hosting it.

9eze8amy.jpg
alt="">

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

@C0pe wrote:
I started with a single 425 for my kids 20g and ended up buying a 240 to add in after seeing how little flow the 425 created by itself. We just added a couple heads of frogspawn the other day and the kids love watching the pair of false percs hosting it. said:
Cool... I was thinking a second small one might be as good idea as well. I am hoping to pick up a frogspawn at the frag swap to give my clowns something to do while I wait for the tank to be mature enough for a RBTA.

The cloudiness in the tank has cleared up so I snapped a pic with the blue bulbs on. They come on an hour earlier than the whites and stay on for an hour after the whites go off.
20121013114803.jpg
alt="">

Here is the current state of the sump. You can see that the skimmer is producing a decent amount of foam. From the skimmer section it goes down my media rack section. Currently there is just some filter floss on top, but soon I will add a Chemi-pure elite bag below that. From there it flows out the bottom and in to a chamber where I added some rubble from my the sump of my big tank (I haven't decided if I will fill it to the top with rubble, or if I will add a light and some chaeto). From the rubble chamber, the water overflows into the return section with heater. I never fixed the broken tooth on that overflow. I will fix it if I decide to add chaeto to the rubble section.
20121014093449.jpg
alt="">

Cycling- I dosed a small amount of ammonia on day one to get things going. I got a couple free bottles of MicroBactor7 at MACNA, so I am giving it a try as well. The Ammonia alert shows that ammonia is still high, but I am already testing a 2 mg/l of nitrites in just 5 days of running. Between the use of rubble from my established system and the MB7, I am hopefully it will not be a long cycle.

The Clowns- They have now been in QT for 2 weeks and are doing well. The like mysis most, but will take the IO Marine Chips too. I have tried some flake that free from MACNA, but they don't seem interested in it at this time.

Day 9-Ammonia is all gone and the nitrites are now way up. Diatoms are out in force. The temperature gets up near 80 by the end of each day's light cycle. I ordered a little hang on fan made by Zoo Med and plan to control it with my AC3 to keep the temps between 78 and 79. I am still dosing MicroBactor7 daily and I am ghost feeding i bit of mysis shrimp every other day.

Clown update- They have completed their 2 rounds of Prazipro in the QT. The plan was to treat them with copper next, but I have changed my mind on that. After lots of reading, I see that Brooklynella is the biggest concern for clowns and the consensus is that it can not be treated with copper. I have chosen to go with Mardel QuICK Cure. It is supposed to work on ick (like copper), but it is Formalin based (known to treat Brook). The treatment only lasts 3 days, and after that I will just leave the clowns in QT until the tank has cycled.

Small update... I added a small bag of Chemi-pure elite to the media rack in the sump today.

Unrelated note... As part of the same order I got a Reef Gently Acclimate Pro. I had wanted one as soon as I saw their video on it, and although I haven't used it yet, the build quality and features have so far exceeded my high expectations. I can't wait to give it a try. I am a little surprised by how small it is. If It works as good as it looks, I may add the XL version to my wish list.

So last night I added the Chemi-pure elite. I then cleaned the glass in the tank. Less than 24 hrs later, the glass is again covered in algae. I have never seen algae blooms like this in my big tank. Is this a common occurrence in a cycling tank? Maybe it is related to the fact that I am still running the cheap bulbs that came with the fixture? The fact that it coincided with the addition of the Chemi-pure has me even more baffled.

Day 16, the tank has cycled. It was a nasty mess in there. I did a 15% water change and sucked out the worst of the GHA and Cyano. I didn't think to take a pre-cleaning pic, but below is the after cleaning pic. still nasty looking, but not as nasty. I also added a single head of candy cane that I had in the sump of my big tank. Not sure when I will add the clowns. They have gone through all the QT treatment I had planned, but I just hate putting them in there during this nasty time.

20121025140146.jpg
alt="">

Looking great Titus! My Nanocube 12 actually finished cycling in exactly 16 days as well. I had a massive GHA breakout at day 11 or so and it just melted away after a week. I should have my 20 wet within the next week. Just trying to tweak the sump, plumbing, and lighting before I set it up. Few questions if you dont mind:

Correct me if I read this wrong but is your sump a 5.5? It looked like a 10 to me. I have a 10 and have been trying to figure out what skimmer will fit in the drain area. I have about 8" X 6 1/2" area for one with a 9" water level. Im wondering if that Aquaticlife skimmer you're using is what I should use and if it's too small. Id like to have a larger skimmer if possible but have not found one to fit. Just need one that works good. Im trying to steer away from HOB skimmers.

Yep, it is a 5.5. I had intended on using a 10g, and even bought one at a $1 a gallon sale, but got home and it wouldn't come close to fitting in my stand. I had always assumed I would have plenty of room in the stand for it, and never thought to bother measuring. Sadly even the 5.5 needs to sit in there at a slight angle... I just WAY over built the stand. [smilie=crying.gif]

The Aquatic Life Skimmer works well, but it is small. There is enough room in the skimmer section of my sump to upgrade to a Tunze Nano Skimmer, but I didn't start with that because I was trying to keep this somewhat of a low budget build. Given that the tank will not be heavily stocked, I am going to try and stick it out with the Aquaticlife for now. After buying the AquaticLife, I came across the even cheaper Reef Octopus NS80. if I had seen that before, i might have gone with it.

8 little red legged reef hermits moved from the invert QT into the clown tank yesterday. They seem to like it and are busy cleaning things up in there.

While still present, the cyano is been reduced significantly. I added a little bit of GFO in a filter bag to the sump today and hopefully it will wipe out the last of it. More importantly, I decided the tank was ready for the clowns and moved them over this morning. They seem to dig their new tank.

20121104184750.jpg
alt="">
20121104185313.jpg
alt="">
20121104185323.jpg
alt="">

While still present, the cyano has been reduced significantly. I added a little bit of GFO in a filter bag to the sump today and hopefully it will wipe out the last of it. More importantly, I decided the tank was ready for the clowns and moved them over this morning. They seem to dig their new tank.

20121104184750.jpg
alt="">
20121104185313.jpg
alt="">
20121104185323.jpg
alt="">