Titus and Jamie's 20g Clown tank build

So if you follow my wall tank build, you may recall that I have now purchased 3 small used tanks, each one intending to become a QT tank at the time of purchase. The second one purchased was a standard 20g tank that i found at a garage sale for $10. I decided to use it as a test to see if I could muster up the ability to build my own stand and canopy. It turned out I could, and the family decided it was too nice to have hidden away somewhere as a QT tank. A family meeting was called, where a location and theme would be chosen. The girls decided that they want it to become an anemone and clown tank for their girl cave. With my 9 year old daughter Jamie taking an interest in the tanks (already taking over the duty of daily nitrite testing as our wall tank cycles), I have decided that I will get her very involved in this tank each step of the way.

The current plan for the tank is as follows:

• Super-Nano overflow kit from Glass-holes.com
  • Paint the back of tank black
  • Custom built sump- I think I may use it as a chance to learn how to work with acrylic
  • AquaticLife Internal Mini Protein Skimmer 115
  • Maxi-jet for return
  • maxi-jet for in-tank flow
  • DIY LED Kit (we are hoping we win one in the raffle at tomorrow night's meeting)
  • Reef saver base rock seeded with some rock from the fuge of my 110g.

The tank and the beginnings of a stand for it:

20120618215339.jpg
alt="">

@randallftan wrote:
titus nice looking tank. how did u paint ur stand btw? did u just stain it? said:
Thanks... I applied Minwax Oil-Based Red Mahogany Wood Finish #225 with a rag followed by a coat of Minwax Helmsman SPAR Urethane Clear Satin. I may still add a second coat of the Urethane.

Ah good stuff man I shall try it out. Any recommendation for a black color stand? I'm sure they have a black finish right?

@randallftan wrote:
Ah good stuff man I shall try it out. Any recommendation for a black color stand? I'm sure they have a black finish right? said:
I am sure they do... Home Depot had a ton of different Minwax stains to choose from.

looking good. I can imagine that the fixture/Kit at tonights meeting will do VERY well over this tank.

@randallftan wrote:
Thanks for the help titus :) said:
NP!
@JBsmurf wrote:
looking good. I can imagine that the fixture/Kit at tonights meeting will do VERY well over this tank. said:
Thanks... I agree... it is just about perfect for it. I sure hope we win one!

@Titus wrote:
[I]@randallftan wrote:[/I][quote="Thanks for the help titus :) said:
NP!
@JBsmurf wrote:
looking good. I can imagine that the fixture/Kit at tonights meeting will do VERY well over this tank. said:
Thanks... I agree... it is just about perfect for it. I sure hope we win one!"]

Cool deal!

Hopefully who ever wins them will be happy with the kit or fixture. Hope to meet you tonight at the meeting.

I got my Glass-Holes overflow and drill bit last week and attempted to install it today. Cracked the tank. So now I have a stand, canopy, and overflow, along with a skimmer and return pump in the mail, but no tank. I am going to use the cracked one to practice my glass drilling, and then hunt down another 20g Tall tank. I am glad that this practice drilling is all taking place on a tank I paid $10 for, but I sure wish the Petco $1/g sale was still going on.

OK... A replacement 20g tank was purchased today off of craigslist, and I practiced my hole drilling on the cracked tank. After 3 practice holes, I drilled the replacement tank without cracking it. The overflow was installed and I put a coat of black paint on the back of the tank. Looks like it will need at least one more coat.

20120819193151.jpg
alt="">

I also received my Mini Skimmer and a QuietOne 1200 return pump in the mail yesterday. Once the painting is all done, I will have to move on to the sump. I am waffling at this point on building my own, or having Marc build one for me. It really isn't an issue of cost... more of deciding if I want a sloppy homemade sump that helps me learn another DIY skill, or the convenience and quality of a custom Melevs sump.

Update time... So I really want a custom Melevs sump for this tank, but with MACNA coming up, I know he is slammed and I am trying to save money for the show. That said, I also really want to keep this build moving forward.

This takes me to this past Monday. I had won a bunch of Thrive products from Reef Remedies via a Facebook contest, and I needed to pick them up. I would feel a little like a jerk if I went in, took my free stuff, and walked out without making a purchase, so as soon as I walked in I was looking around for something I could use. I spotted a 5.5g tank for $15 and I immediately thought TEMPORARY SUMP!!! So I will eventually get a custom Melev sump, but this will keep the build moving forward for now for a mere $15.

I had some old glass tank lids and decided to hack them up in the sump project. This is what I ended up with:

20120908160601.jpg
alt="">

Water will enter in to the sump in the top right by the skimmer and overflow to the bottom middle compartment. This compartment will get a media rack made out off egg crate, allowing the water to flow through a filter pad, then likely a bag with carbon and GFO. It then travels out the bottom into the chamber on the lower right. I will fill this with rubble or Chaeto... Not sure at this point. From there it overflows into the final compartment where the heater and return pump reside.

20120908160625.jpg
alt="">

This is the exact build Im looking for except Im looking to get one drilled on the bottom because the space behind the tank is limited for me. Unfortunately I do not have the tools nor the skills to put something like this together. Great build! You should post this build on Nano-reef.com or reefcentral. You will get more feed back there. I will be following this. P.S. Can you build one for me?? lol

@Chino wrote:
This is the exact build Im looking for except Im looking to get one drilled on the bottom because the space behind the tank is limited for me. Unfortunately I do not have the tools nor the skills to put something like this together. Great build! You should post this build on Nano-reef.com or reefcentral. You will get more feed back there. I will be following this. P.S. Can you build one for me?? lol said:
Thanks Chino... I have been lurking on Nano-reef.com for a while and had planned on making a build thread but hadn't gotten around to it. I just posted it over there now.

@Chino wrote:
Awesome. Is your handle Titus as well on NR? said:
Yep... I am on a ton of different types of forums as Titus. The only forum I have ever gone to join were it wasn't available was RC.