The frugal Reefer

There are many ways to cut down on your reefing expense's and still have a successful flourishing reef. My tank is minimal expense per month yet still satisfying to me. I dont skimp on water changes though. I would like to hear some idea's anyone has to save money in these economic depressed times many are facing today. Please no negative comments, just useful information. Tough question i know. Do you have some answers to share is the question?

Use lots of macro algae. No need to run expensive phosphate remover if you can provide a well lit refugium to house chaeto algae. If you grow enough of it, it will keep your PO4 down, Nitrates, provide a safe haven for pods and brittle stars, and out compete all other algae that might be in your display.

If you need some PM me, I have LOTS!

Good points made. I guess were the only two frugal reefers ... [smilie=lol.gif] I got rid of all my red macro alage to see if my cheato would grow faster, maybe i need a brighter bulb.

Man I was really excited to see this topic. I am new to the hobby and getting started on a 75 gal wanted to use a refugium but not sure I have the right equipment to do a fuge. So is there a way I could use cheato in the main tank or is that a bad idea.

One thing I've done is try to make as much as possible run from either centralized pumps or gravity. I eliminated several pumps from my system that way.

I also use cheato for nutrient removal. But I still keep in the phosphate remover. It just seems to last way longer than it did before I added the fuge, deep sand etc.

While I don't do it, there are several creative ways to use waste water from the RO/DI units. Examples I've seen are: pool top off, water for gardening, filling washing machines for clothes etc.

Now if I could just figure out a cheap way to do lighting!