Tank transformation: taking out the trash palys

lceman225

Membership Expired
I was sick and tired of the palys overwelming my SPS and needed to do something drastic about it. I made the decision to move everything out and use new rocks. It was basically a new setup but started with colonies instead of frags. My goodness...I did not think this was going to be that big of a task until I started moving everything. Also lost a few colonies/frags in the process. People should take this as a warning and rid their tanks of the trash palys before they get out of hand.

Before:
beforebreakdown.jpg
alt="">

After:
IMG_2887.jpg
alt="">

System details:
Lighting: 2 X LED stunners strips for actinics, Lumentek dimmable 400watts E-ballast, 400w aquamax bulbs but only running them at 250w super lumen.
Flow: Tunze wave box, 2 X vortech MP40w
Filtration: Octopus 1000sss cone skimmer

I'll try to take closer pictures and post soon. Thanks for looking!

That's to bad things got that out of hand for you, your tank looked real nice and full. It still looks good, but looks less full. Just how many colonies did you lose? It's important to keep these type of corals on separate rocks away from the main rock structure for this very reason. Glad you took care of it and hope you recover what was lost.

Wow Joe that is a big change in your tank. Hope you did not lose many of your corals and you had some real nice ones in your tank. Looks like you changed a lot of the rock out also. Looking good though and I have learned my lesson on those also.