Tang Compatability - An evenings research

You can keep multiple yellow tangs in a tank. They tend to school together I have 4 in mine

I have all of these in my 300 plus lots of other fish.

Yellow Tang (Z. flavescens)
2 X Purple Tang (Z. xanthurum)
Pacific Sailfin Tang (Z. veliferum)
Desjardin's Sailfin Tang (Z. desjardinii)
Powder Blue (A. leucosternon)
Powder Brown (A. japonicus)
Clown tang (A. lineatus)
Sohal Tang (A. sohal)
Dussumieri Tang (A. dussumieri)
Naso/Lipstick Tang (N. lituratus)
Vlamingi Tang (N. vlamingi)
Unicorn Tang (N. unicornis)
2 X Regal/Hippo/Blue Tang (P. hepatus)
Chevron Tang (C. hawaiiensis)
Horse-shoe Tang (Acanthurus fowleri)

OK I know the Tang police will be upset and say this can't be done but if you keep them feed all is good because they eat 10 - 12 sheets Nori a day plus Ricky feeds 2 -3 times a day. So there very happy campers.

There lights are off for now so I will have to look later and add if needed.

I have also had several tang's together that worked very well together. This works best if all are in at the same time or add least aggressive first and so on. Good thought but...... :D

Cheers,

I have kept a sailfish and a Scopus ina 65g before and they were fine together. didn't fight @ all. But a down & a sailfin in 265 and all heck broke loose. Never can tell

Ok, I know everyone has special circumstances and whatnot, but thats not what this post was about.

This list was more to be able to quickly compare which tang was with which family. That way a newbie or someone not super familiar with tangs could quickly see which tangs would MOST LIKELY fight with each other.

Hearing I had this and I had that does not help here at all. I saw someone try to keep a baby whale in their pool, but that doesn't mean everyone should do it. At least not without extensive research and planning... :D

@aentrop wrote:
Hearing I had this and I had that does not help here at all. said:
@and he also wrote:
Tang Compatability. No more than 1 tang from each family unless your tank is bigger than about 400 gallons... said:
Maybe not making blanket statement's would also help. :D If you want to help out "other newbie's" then why not tell them how to introduce tang's properly into a tank. Anytime you add another tang to a tank with an already established tang in it...you can have issue's sometime's no matter what genus they belong in. Now there are way's to do it such as adding multiples, light's out at introduction, rearranging rockwork, taking original tang out and then introduce new specimen's then add the original one back in after a few weeks etc., etc. Knowing that you can add two of the same is also helpful information for newbie's and old alike.... imo.

Cheers,

@aentrop wrote:
Hearing I had this and I had that does not help here at all. I saw someone try to keep a baby whale in their pool said:
Ok So I think there is a defense in whale and 2 tangs but I'll change my statement. Sailfins tend to do well in groups as do Regals, and yellows. So your list is inherintly wrong. But I was trying to be nice about it before.

I thought it would be nice to have this list compiled, but apparently its too controversial.

I deleted the posts, and will just keep the list for myself for my own reference.