Super funky snails - Any clue on id's?

[I picked these two fellas up on Saturday and so far they are well behaved and buried in the sand.

orangespotsnail.jpg
alt="">

strangesnail.jpg
alt="">

Any ideas would be great!]

[Ummmm Im almost ready to say they are predatory conches... not sure if they have the dreaded neurotoxin or not. And yes stores do sell them out of ignorance all the time. Hope Im wrong! :sniffle:]

[Thanks Nick, the first one could be some species of conch maybe, but the second one certainly isnt. Im thinking cowrie of some sort - and hopefully a well behaved one!]

[Someone contacted me about that first one a couple of months ago. All I remember is the look, but I can't remember the details. Dr Ron would know.]

[Dang Amanda, I should have come out to look at them. :shocked: They look alot like cowries or possibly coneshells to me. Coneshells are all poisonous to some extent, some of them are in fact deadly. Not saying those are, but they bear extra caution till identified. I would be very careful, and absent being able to ID them, I'd figure out a safe way to remove them. Not trying to sound alarmist, but it's a serious concern.

http://www.tabula-international.com/UW/UH/MB/Cone1.htm]

[Duane I told you to come out and have a look! :smart:
I have posted in Dr. Rons forum and hopefully will know something in the morning. They were not hitch-hikers, I am an interesting invert addict! and happily bought both of them on Saturday.

I know another reefer who had one of the orange ones for awhile and it never caused any trouble to my knowledge.

The second one I am a bit concerned with, I was sure it was a cowry because of the mantle but the shell pattern and shape appear to much like a cone to me. The pattern on the shell you linked Duane, is almost identical to my snails shell pattern. The only difference is the mantle and siphon coloration.
Have a strong hunch that Ill be setting up a species tank first thing in the am :uhoh:]

[You know Duane, it really is hard to believe there are so many different kinds of snails in existance! There are 869 on that page alone!

Without trying to push any type of religious viewpoint, it just seems hard to believe in the evolution theory when there is such abundance in life (such variety) and amazing design in the various creatures we take care of.]

[It depends on what type of evolution your are talking about. Macro-evolution is defined as, "Large-scale evolution occurring over geologic time that results in the formation of new taxonomic groups." Usually when people refer to evolution, macro-evolution is what they are referring to. When things "macro-evolve", the remnant of the "old" is phased out. This does not happen in my personal belief. For example, the general man-evolved-from-monkey theory. Why in the world would we see the beginning (monkey) and the end (man) still today and none of the in-between phases? Kinda makes ya think, huh?!

Now, micro-evolution is defined as "Evolution resulting from a succession of relatively small genetic variations that often cause the formation of new subspecies." This I can understand...things evolving within their species to accomodate their environment, etc. But macro-evolution...nah... :no:]

Edited By buyitjody on 1090247106

[Myself, I believe in the Big Bang theory....

God said it, and BANG!!! there it was!

Sure, things have changed to adapt to their enviroment, but it is just too hard for me to believe that so many breeds of dogs came from one creature, or from a pool of goo.]

[90% of the scientific community belives in evolution not creationism. ( I remember seeing a study that said the higher your IQ the more likely you are to reject creationism, ie the top 1% were 99% non belivers, the bottom 5% were 99 belivers, even though i dont claim to be smart I'm going to side with the nerds) You trust them(and their methods) when you take their medicine, turn on your TV, watch them send man to space and you even use their methods in almost every aspect of this hobby. But when they conflict with your personal beliefs you "throw the baby out with the bath water".

The evolution theory has its faults but not near as many as the accepted creation stories. Their is no way the earth is a little over 5000 years old, and no way that man was "created" the same week as dinosaurs roamed. After all are the reefs not millions of years old?

BTW "you" is not refering to any person but a majority of society as a whole. This thread has probley gone beyond what is kosher on this site. People can get very worked up over this discussion. I hope I have not offended.

:beerchug:]

[Uh-oh....sounds like a tangant starting to happen..... :laugh long:

I agree with you Jody - micro-evolution is a whole lot easier to understand, primarily since we can see it happen within our lifetime - just look at bacteria or viruses - a mutation can cause a change in allele frequency within hours.

However, for the majority of macro-evolution to occur, there has to be a substantial amount of time. The monkey-to-man theory is often misunderstood. It doesn't state that we evolved from monkeys, but from a common ancestor. How did they come up with this? By comparing modern day primates and through the fossil record. The downside to the fossil record - it's not complete. What a lot of people use to argue against it, is that there are links missing. What they fail to take into consideration (or at least mention) is that not everything gets fossilized! The "links" could have existed, but they either haven't been found yet or they never were fossilized.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but evolution discussion gets me going. The only time I ever found myself screaming at the TV was when one of the Christian stations aired an Anti-evolution and our Science books are wrong show. I can still feel my blood pressure rise when I think about it..... :cussing:]

[@SciTeacher wrote:
Cathy - About the dogs - explain Noah's ark to me. :shifty: said:
Hey Sciteacher, You are my new friend! :)

On the ark thing..
I read that in order to 2 of every species on a boat and feed them, the arc would have had to have been teh size of a small state. Not to mention all the inbreeding that would have taken place afterword would have screwed up the gentics lines.

Do you guys get the same Discovery channel I do?

BTW if this thread does not get closed it should be moved to its own topic in the open forum.]

Edited By mmiller40 on 1090249858

[Being raised in a Christian home, this topic often gets brought up at the dinner table. However, the way I approach it is this -
#1 - We weren't there to see it happen, so we really don't know what went down. We can only look at the evidence, gather the clues, and make our best guesses
#2 - It's hard to comprehend that everything came together the way it did without some outside involvement - God or otherwise. In otherwords, something had to orchestrate the whole event. For all we know, we're some kid's science experiment.
#3 - Darwin's dad said it best. Since I can't remember the exact quote, but can paraphrase - What greater being is this, than one who's plan can allow for change]

[With the Ark - If it did happen, the flooding was probably localized and not world-wide. From their perspective, the whole world could have appeared to be flooded, but it only happened in that area.]

[@SciTeacher wrote:
#2 - It's hard to comprehend that everything came together the way it did without some outside involvement - God or otherwise. In otherwords said:
I too was raised VERY fanaticaly religious. It is a always a topic of conversation. My significant others father is a southern baptist minister. When ever the topic comes up the questions always arises "Something had to create this, (and to quote cathy :;): ) we did not just come from a "puddle of goo" so what created us?

My answer has always been, if god can be infinate so can the universe. If the universe needs a creator then so does god. You have to apply the same rules to both to discuss it fairly. Did he just emerge from his own puddle of goo?]

Edited By mmiller40 on 1090250326

[Oh my, oh my, oh my - gets one's head spinning, doesn't it? I once had someone pose this question to me in high school - "If God is so great, can he create a rock so large that even he can't move it?" I didn't know what to say? Maybe? Went home and asked my dad - "You shouldn't challenge God"

You know, the real irony of this thread is that Marc started the whole tangant and he's probably the one who's going to have to shut it down! :laugh long:]