Starfish in Tank? Is it a baby?

kar2oons

Premium Member
Hi I have a sand sifting starfish which has been in my tank for about a month or so, today I noticed a baby starfish on my glass. I only have one so I don't think it's a baby, could this be a hitchhiker and should I worry it will mess with my corals?

Thanks [smilie=worried.gif]

5851282846_bcbb3c49f9.jpg
alt="">

Not a baby but an asterina starfish. Could have been a hitchhiker. If you have zoas it might take a liking to them and they do multiply fairly quickly.

What are you keeping? It is known to be a predator so I would remove it. If you have one more than likely you have more.

NP............I actually bought a harlequin shrimp to take care of mine but I had a lot of them.

They will hurt your zoanthia's.

Put a Harlequin Shrimp in your tank. You'll never pick all of them off the glass walls.

david

There are different types of asterina. Some will go after corals, some won't. Anecdotal advise seems to be that if they are white, they're fine, while the blue/gray ones are the more predatory.

I have quite a number of the white ones in my tank and have never had them go after coral.

Thanks Gramalkin that makes me feel a little better, I've been watching my tank for any more of those little critters.