Sps colony rtn'ing

Help its got it bad half the colony over night what do I do... everything else is fine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

hezaja5u.jpg
alt="">

The best you can do is to frag the sections above the tissue loss. I just lost a beautiful piece of Red Planet that RTN'd overnight like yours. I tried to frag it but it was too late.

Had this happen to a basketball size monti in my tank 3 years back. Never found out what caused it. Just overnight it was half gone.

Try to cut some frags a good half inch to inch above the rtn line if you can.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII

I would check your ALK. and see if its ok. If your parms are in check, frag it and put in lugals dip and then remount. Be sure the frag as far away from RTN as you can and not too big of a piece. Some times the corals just do that for some reason. When my parms are in check I just let it do its thing and when done. I frag it.

I fragged it into six pieces ended up with little frags I got that from a former member and it was coloring up good in my tank. Now all is lost time to rebuild I guess at least my rbta split yesterday haha good and bad news

@FatWrasse wrote:
I fragged it into six pieces ended up with little frags I got that from a former member and it was coloring up good in my tank. Now all is lost time to rebuild I guess at least my rbta split yesterday haha good and bad news Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2 said:
A sign of your RBTA splitting and you having a coral RTN is a sign of something stressed in the tank.

I know you say yours is gone, but still going to respond to help others in the future that search for this.

In my experience, I have been able to confirm what many others say...alkalinity swings can easily cause STN/RTN. When I first set up my dosing pump, I swung my alk from 5-10 over 2 days...way too quick. This caused STN in my birdsnest. Luckily returning to normal values resolved it and its grown back.

In the past with STN/RTN, fragging the entire colony is your best bet. However, recently I have tried (successfully) the super glue method. You put a line of super glue on living tissue about a half inch from the dead. This will kill the living in that area and create a sort of "fire line". Since most assume this is a bacteria infection that will keep moving, the "fire line" helps to stop it from progressing further.