spongodes color.

McReefer

Membership Expired
So I got a frag of one of my favorite corals. Green spongodes. It's really heathy and growing. But it still hasn't colored up. This thing has huge polyp extensions and does grow rather fast. I've had it for a few months. Tried high and low light. But it just stays white. Any ideas.

Just with that particular coral or are other corals affected also? If just that one coral, then it's a lighting/flow issue. If it's multiple corals, then it's a water param. usually alkalinity or if you're running a Low Nutrient system ie carbon dosing, could try dosing some amino acids such as Fuel from Aqua Vitro. I would test all water params first to make sure they're up to spec.

All other corals have gained amazing color. My tests have been dead on but will test again tomorrow and post results. It's in a low flow low light area for the past month but no increase in color. Hard to get a good pic.
[attachment=1]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382582201.770311.jpg[/attachment][attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382582220.887491.jpg[/attachment]

I would say move it higher and more flow. I have mine about 2/3 of the way down in the tank and med to high flow on it.

I have mine growing on the back wall of my tank close to my overflow very high in the tank under a lot of leds. Like others said try some amino.

Sent from inside the shark tank!

That is really bizarre. Was it green when you bought it? I see that you are saying that you are having problems coloring it up. It appears that the coral has fallen off some ones frag rack and has been behind the rock work for some time without anyone noticing it and then you picked it up. That coral doesn't need much light. What kind of light do you have on your aquarium? I would think it will color up on the sand.

@ThanhNguyen wrote:
Just with that particular coral or are other corals affected also? If just that one coral said:
I actually already dose that exact product. I love the AV brand. There salt is amazing. When I first had it I placed it with my SPS frags that are colored fine. I was sick of seeing a bleached out frag so I threw it in my crap pile in the corner do I don't see it lol. I expected it to die but like I said its growing like a champ. My lights are running at about 15W of LEDs.

If it is still growing but not coloring up that leads me to think it is needing some nutrients to get the color. Do you run a ULNS?

Maybe the place that you got it from runs a ULNS so it may be struggling with the higher nutrients than it is use to?? Not sure just throwing that out there..

Yeah I appreciate the thoughts. I think I'll move it back with the high flow med light SPS. I'll try spot feeding it for 2 weeks (Not everyday). But everything else is doing great so I'm not changing my nute level.

I put it up with my acros an acan. They all seem to be doing well. It's been growing, polyps are nice and open. Still white....

Well, if it doesn't heal... I have that coral, I'm in Grand Prairie, If you ever come around my neighborhood. I can frag you another piece. Mine is from ORA, don't know if it makes a difference, but i'm sure it's a hardier blood line.