So someone please tell me what's going on with my tank?

pjracer

Premium Member
So about a month ago I started up a frag tank. It is just a 20 gallon with a 10 gallon sump. If been in the hobby for 7 years and never seen this before. I have done 75% water changes still water gets greener. All my parameters where the need to be.

Let me know what you think.

da8upa2y.jpg
alt="">

looks like an algae bloom to me. Do you happen to have any caulepra in your sump? If so, they're going asexual.

Phosphates are good. I did chaeto from my main display but I removed it when it started to green up and added my phosphate reactor and carbon reactor.

looks like a phyto bloom to me. I'd try some H2O2 or a UV sterilizer. WC are just going to fuel the bloom I imagine.

Does anyone know how to tell the sufferance between algae bloom and phyto. Phyto would be good for feeding my clams.

Is the water green or is the green from a surface coating on the glass? Phytoplankton is generally free-floating and far too small to see with the naked eye. I've never heard of an accidental phyto bloom though. It usually takes a bit of effort. In any case, your tests are clearly not telling you the whole story. How do you treat your source water?

I'm pretty experienced. Parameters are good. I have a 300 reef that is great.

I have not changed the lights. It's a used t5 fixture.

Their is nothing sticking to the glass. It's all free floating.

I have never seen this before that's why I am curious.

If you leave the lights off the algae will have to die, I would think. Maybe some decay taking place initially in the rock started this off, and now, even starved of nutrients, the algae is thriving on the light?

@pjracer wrote:
I'm pretty experienced. Parameters are good. I have a 300 reef that is great. I have not changed the lights. It's a used t5 fixture. Their is nothing sticking to the glass. It's all free floating. I have never seen this before that's why I am curious. said:
Try changing the lights as I have seen older lights do this.

I would turn off the lights and run UV. Drew may have one you can borrow.

If you use Facebook and are friends with me, you can follow the discussion here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151761445226898&set=a.156163891897.129716.528641897&type=1&comment_id=9926855&offset=0&total_comments=12&ref=notif&notif_t=photo_comment

I have experienced that before. Its the lights. Oh and yes, use a UV it will take it out in a day if you get a good one.