Siporax or other filtration media?

bdare

Premium Member
Hey all,Just wanted to get your opinions / experience on using Siporax or similar products (SeaChem Matrix, Brightwell Aquatics Xport NO3 Dimpled Brick).? I just helped a buddy setup a new tank.? I think he's slightly over stocked so I'm looking for ways to help him with nutrient export.Thanks,Ben

I use marine pure in my big tank (100 gallon) and Seachem Matrix in a bag in my biocubes (14 gallons) and all working well. How big is the tank?

A marine pure 8x8x1 plate is enough surface area to handle a 100g tank on its own. I put a?8x8x4 block cut in half in my sump.

I was going to grab one the other day, but I was worried about the fragility of the blocks.? what's you experience been?? Also, how are they at nitrate reduction or is it just for aerobic bacteria?? Was thinking it might be better to get a 4" block to try and get some places with low oxygen.

You do need to handle with a little care so it doesn't get destroyed. I was able to cut and handle without much worry, just don't throw them around or anything. Maybe too good at nitrate reduction because I am always at zero and only have skimmer, run carbon and water changes every 2 weeks. I may need to remove some so I can have some?nitrates, but will probably just add more fish slowly, only have 7 waste makers at the moment. I just have it sitting in my refugium area instead of rock ruble, pretty low flow through there. The good thing about marine pure is that it is easy to cut, kinda like styrofoam, so you can shape to your needs and put it where you want.

I have an 8x8x4 in my sump and my Nitrates have also dropped to zero with only a skimmer and no water changes.? I added it about a month ago and I was starting to wonder about the accuracy of the test kit.Mark

I've been using Marine Pure. ?Honestly I can't tell you how well it works. ?I have 2 8x8x4 blocks and a box of spheres in a 180g. ?I do 25-35g water changes every 2 weeks. ?I still have nitrates up around 50-100 if I don't use bio pellets or nopox.

My tank is extremely lightly loaded.? It's only been running for about 3 months.? All I have in it right now is 3 Damsels, 1 Mono, 4 Clowns, and 2 frags.?I will say that I cut down a 8x8x1 and have a chunk crammed in my hang on filter in the 20 gal quarantine tank.? I spiked it with Bio-Spira and I never saw any ammonia at all.? With only the one? 1 1/2" Mono in there it was like it was instantly cycled and I tested it every day.?Maybe the flow is too high where you have the blocks and there aren't any anerobic spots?Don't take this as an argument.? I'm still very new.Mark

Posted by: Crotalus?My tank is extremely lightly loaded.? It's only been running for about 3 months.? All I have in it right now is 3 Damsels said:
It's possible that the flow is too high, idk. ? They are in 2 different sections of my sump. ?Neither one is directly in front of where the flow of water is going so not sure. ?My tank is well stocked. ?Although I'm transferring some of the bio load. ?Maybe that will help. ?I probably feed too much as well. ?Those darn fish pull at my heart strings. ?They always seem hungry. ?LOL

Posted by: Billy?I've been using Marine Pure. ?Honestly I can't tell you how well it works. ?I have 2 8x8x4 blocks and a box of spheres in a 180g. ?I do 25-35g water changes every 2 weeks. ?I still have nitrates up around 50-100 if I don't use bio pellets or nopox.? ? said:
Any macro algae?? That usually knocks down nitrates.

I do have a small amount of cheato as well in my sump, also added lots of pods and feed phyto every other day.

Just ordered some Seachem Matrix.  I don't want to use any of the other aluminum based products.  Too many rumors of it leaching aluminum into the aquarium.

I read that the studies that showed negative aluminum effects were at levels several orders of magnitude higher than these media blocks introduce.

Posted by: @mark-c I read that the studies that showed negative aluminum effects were at levels several orders of magnitude higher than these media blocks introduce. said:
I don't disagree.  I've seen the same.  I've also read the ones that say it's caused coral die off.  For me personally it's just not a risk I'm willing to take.  I just read a thread today about a guy who did an ICP test before adding the blocks.  6 months after adding them got another test and Aluminum was off the charts.  Again... I know there is no definitive information out there to lean one way or the other.  I'm just risk adverse so I avoid them and use the pumice alternative which also serves the same purpose.

@bdare  I understand your concerns.
FYI, I recently did an ICP.  I have two of the 8x8x4 blocks of Marinepure in my sump.  My aluminum was .13ppm.  The Fiji that they use for a comparison was .05ppm.  So there is a little bit.