Show me your in-wall tanks!

We're finally settled in the new house, and I'm starting to think about a new tank. We've got an empty bedroom that backs up to my office / game room, and a blank wall that's not load bearing. So in the wall it goes, with the spare bedroom being a fish room.

I'm thinking a 7' long by 3' deep (front to back) by 2' tall tank (~300g) with two corner overflows. Placement would be centered left to right in the wall, at about 42" up from the floor. Rather than cut a window in the wall and frame it that way, I'm thinking of building a doorway 6'8" tall by 7' wide, and mount a panel above the tank on hinges, as well as a panel for the front of the metal stand that's removable. Or maybe a set of doors- haven't quite decided yet.

If you've got an in-wall, how did you trim it out?

Something like this..

in-wall.jpg
alt="">

Check out my thread. The link is in my sig block.

Well maybe not if you are using taptalk. It's under "my 300 build". Here's a pic.

While I do love the clean look, I do sacrifice front access.

4cff6eb4-c34f-8525.jpg
alt="">

Ashlar,
The idea of having the front panels is a good one in case you do ever need to get to something close to the wall. I have just framed my wall in at this point, and have a very long way to go. I am leaning toward doing the same as you stated in your post and have a hinged panel above. My wife would prefer the clean trimmed look though. We will see who wins....
As far as tank size goes, I would just say go as big as you can. I like the 24" height you are talking about. If you are having the tank build, and laying down that kind of dime, then I would go 8'x3'x2'. Cost for that extra foot is minimal since your builder is buying in 8 foot sheets anyway.
Just my 2c.

Charles, 7' centered on the wall gives me room on either side for a 55g barrel on a stand to manage water changes and spare RO/DI.

That hinged panel really will be a necessity, especially with a 36" deep tank.

Got ya. Having the ability to manage your water changes is key and the easier the better. Mine is only 24" deep, so it will be more of a luxury. I would suggest building the stand in a way that you can have a "walk way" that you can attach to it when you need to spend a bit of time in the tank doing maintenance or fraging corals so you don't have to move a ladder around all the time.

Cliff, your thread made me consider something that I hadn't given a lot of thought to- door widths! I could get the tank in (tank turned on its side so that 24" fits) but not sure about the stand. I'll have to see if there's a way to have the stand in two pieces with pins and sockets, or have it bolt together and finish on-site.

I'm thinking something like this..

stand.jpg
alt="">

this was more built into a wall opening but ended up about the same

file.php
alt="">

file.php
alt="">

I do wish I had access to the top on the front side as it was a pain to get to things

Doors are very important. My tank is in a room built in my garage. I have double doors. Without the double doors, I wouldn't be able to get the tank into position. It's also nice to open up the room when the temps are nice enough.

Pete, that's what I'm thinking for mine, but with the top of the opening above the tank enough to allow a flip-up panel.

Ron, I'm already going to have to take the railings down on the stairs into the basement, but luckily they're just bolted in. I can only imagine needing double doors.

I purposely wanted no front access on mine, no light escaping from some crack and no sound from the tank at all.

DSC00621.jpg
alt="">
DSC00613.jpg
alt="">

Don't get me wrong, I love the clean look and the quietness of having the front completely closed. I just wish I could reach the front of the tank!

Definitely go with front access. I don't know what we would do if the 560 didn't have those removable panels out front.

I've built a few. Let me know if I can help.
[attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346984483.357758.jpg[/attachment]
3ydybypy.jpg
alt="">
How do you want to hang your lights. I have done this in a build. It works really nice.
a4are8ej.jpg
alt="">

I'd build the stand in one piece. I can remove a door and reinstall it cheaper than having a two piece stand built and the stand would be stronger.

Yeah, ideally a one-piece stand would be best. But I've realized already that I'm going to have to take down some railings into my basement, and that still leaves me with a 34" door (rather not have to take the door frame out to get the stand in.)

I could make the tank only 34" 'deep' front to back. and then both the tank and stand would clear. That may be the best solution.

Wes had to take out my door frame to get my stand in. Was worth it IMO for the extra size. We almost decided to take out some windows, or we were even going to have french doors put in our living room to allow for the extra room... were going to do that anyway but more in a 5-year plan, not something we wanted to do right away (had just moved into the house).

Could consider ripping out the roof and helicopter lifting it in :)