scoly's

Is it possible to frag scolys? I have tried to do the research but have not found anything. If not, how do they propogate and grow? I have seen some fungias that have dropped babies or pods but was curious to know how soclys grow.

In the wild they grow in small colonies. When they are harvested, they are cut at the base. I wouldn't call them branching, but more like bunches, like lobos do. Scroll down a page or so on this link and you'll see a bundle of them in nature.

http://tinyurl.com/a4r9l9

As far as fragging them.... You would frag them like Elegance Corals or lobos etc, very carefully and with a good deal of risk. You would slice the flesh with a very sharp scalpel across the mouth, then with a diamond band saw, cut through the base. They would be open to infection, which is the risk with many of the LPS of this nature, so cutting them clean then dipping in something like Coral Revive or TMPCC would be required. You would probably only be able to cut them in half, I wouldn't go into thirds or fourths etc.

In nature.. I would assume they spawn like most corals do. I would also imagine that they could be pinched off and split, or do that infamous sluff off like trumpts will do, dropping flesh like its melting onto surrounding rock and then growing a new head. I have also seen photos of buds sprouting out the bases.

dave thanks for the link. it seems a bit risky but i have the stuff to do it and i am wanting to bank some of my nicer stuff with a buddy and i just thought these were the ones that i did not know much about. I have 4 really nice pieces and i wanted to have a back up just in case something was to go wrong.

i am not sure if it is worth the risk, but for the price of these things it just might. hopefully i will get a tissue or something off of them and get duplicates...hopefully. good article.

@dp1416 wrote:
dave thanks for the link. it seems a bit risky but i have the stuff to do it and i am wanting to bank some of my nicer stuff with a buddy and i just thought these were the ones that i did not know much about. I have 4 really nice pieces and i wanted to have a back up just in case something was to go wrong. i am not sure if it is worth the risk said:
If time isn't a factor, you might consider doing them one a time over a period of several weeks. Infection would show quickly in a manner of hours or a few days and recession etc probably in a week or so. If you do them one at a time it might be safer.

Unfortunately Scolys are slow growers, so healing would take awhile.

From what I've seen scolys show almost no growth over the years. Even some damaged tissue takes years to heal, I'd imagine if you cut a scoly in half, 5 years later it will still look the same. Just a guess.

No way would I cut my scoly in half, I agree with Anton plan on looking at a half scoly for a very long time. That is even if it survives the cut. If you do it find a cheap ugly scully to practice on first.

Dallas North had a red Scolymia Austrailis come in that was damaged and one of the guys that works there decided its best chance was to frag it. Very much to my surprise, I believe three of the four frags made it, and I think a couple are still at the store. It's been at least 4 months since the scoly was fragged, and it appears now to be forming a new mouth.
I would never try and frag one, unless it was a last resort to save it.