Salt, Salt & More Salt

kthomas

Premium Member
So I recently purchased two boxes of reef crystals. I know a ton of people on the board here use reef crystals and just wanted to get your thoughts if you've used other salts and what your pros/cons are.

I myself have used:
- Red Sea Coral Pro (old batch)
- Tropic Marin (Pro)
- Sybon Salt (Discontinued)
- Red Sea Coral Pro (new batch)

I'm currently using Tropic Marin Pro which I've liked most out of every salt I've used thus far.

My 90g tank is dosed with BRS two-part automated with my ACIII. This keeps the tank very stable and I typically do 10g water changes once a week. I have occasionally slacked off and gone two weeks without a water change.

So I just want to see what others opinions are on the salts and which they like best and why. I especially want to know of people that are currently using RC and if they've used the salts I have in the past and what they've noticed in differences.

I thought I was a RC fan until recently. The last two boxes have been "off" <u>Over</u> 5 1/2 cups required to mix up barely 1.025 in a 5 gallon bucket.
Then the Alk was on the real low side of 7 dKH and Ca was low, barely 400. I checked the lable thinking maybe it was just their plain ole FOWLR grade stuff.
Then I got another box, same thing. I'm seriously looking to swap at this point.

I used reef crystals for a little while and like Howard saw varying results from the mix. I have since switched to aquavitro and could not be happier it mixes up the same every time requires less dosing and is batch specific so if you have a problem seachem can go back and verify the batch

@shse666 wrote:
I thought I was a RC fan until recently. The last two boxes have been "off" <u>Over</u> 5 1/2 cups required to mix up barely 1.025 in a 5 gallon bucket. Then the Alk was on the real low side of 7 dKH and Ca was low said:
Interesting. I just got a 5 gal bucket in the last BRS Group Buy and it mixed up 3 cups to 5 gallons at 1.025 in the 2 batches I've made with it so far.

I have always had great luck with seachem reef salt. It is the only brand I have ever used mainly because the two main stores I go to highly recommend it.

I'm using Salinity and have been for the past year or so with good results. The numbers are always pretty consistent between batches.

I like the sybon salt mixes a lot fast and could be ready to go into tank right away assuming temp was correct. Now most of the time I use Reef crystals, I have to let it sit for at least 12 hours before use, but does have a lot more cal and alk added with it which I like.

I always roll my reef crystal's bucket from time to time in order to remix any settled element's, never had any issues in 6+ years. YMMV

Cheers,

@bimmerzs wrote:
I always roll my reef crystal's bucket from time to time in order to remix any settled element's said:
+1 I read on rc when you first buy a bucket of salt roll it for 15 min as stuff settles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Wes wrote:
I'm using Salinity and have been for the past year or so with good results. The numbers are always pretty consistent between batches. said:
Switched to this a couple of months ago. Have been using it in newly upgraded tank with pretty good results. Much more reliable than RC so far.

@b22 wrote:
How much are you guys getting a 120 g bucket of salinity for? said:
Rift2reef has the 225 buckets for 79.99 or close to that price

@kuyatwo wrote:
[I]@b22 wrote:[/I][quote="How much are you guys getting a 120 g bucket of salinity for? said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk"]

You sure thats not the small bucket?

Sent from inside the shark tank!

@Eckolancer wrote:
[I]@kuyatwo wrote:[/I][quote="[I]@b22 wrote:[/I][quote="How much are you guys getting a 120 g bucket of salinity for? said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk"]

You sure thats not the small bucket?

Sent from inside the shark tank!"]
Nope big bucket he has the 120 gallon buckets there also. I was surprised too most places want around $100 for big bucket

AquatroVitro Salinity brand is the best. Its just my opinion but I have tried several different brands and Seachem's Aquavitro Salinity is the best. It mixes well...it doesnt take as much salt to reach the required salinity...it holds its calcium and alkilinity good...and its ready to add to tank almost as soon as its mixed. Only problem is that its hard to find in the metroplex...or for me at least. Usually get mine in Oklahoma.