Running a new electrical circuit

nobody

Membership Expired
My office which has the 120 & 75 G only has one 15A circuit. It is adjacent to the garage which is where the main breaker is. I already run a line through the wall so that my MH ballasts are in the garage, but the AC receptacle is still attached to this single 15A circuit.

I want to run another 15A circuit from the breaker to the side of the office where my MHs ballasts are located. I don't think I can fish the new lines through the walls from one side to the other. What are my options for adding this new line and still be compliance with code?

Thanks,

Its easier if you go through the attic. I don't know the exact floor plan, but if you have a single story home you can run the wire through the attic and down the walls. Simply drill a hole through the top of the wall from above and fish the wire down to the electrical panel. Do the same for the wall where the outlet will be. Install a 15 or 20 amp breaker in the electrical panel and connect the wires to the outlet then the new breaker. If you can't access the attic it becomes a little more difficult.

Attic is not an option for me because this is a 2-story house and there's a bed room directly on top of my garage. I guess it's time to look up the code, buy some wires and conduits :D

Thanks,

conduit not required but anouther option would be that assuming the plug is on a strait line to the circuit breaker would be to get 2 lines of romex and use the original wire as a pull line and then you would have 2 15A circuits after adding a second breaker plus you could make the recepticle have 1 15A circuit on the top plug and the other on the bottom plug making sure you break the bridge and it cant be a gfci outlet as you cant electrically seperatate the two plugs.

@Nazrac wrote:
assuming the plug is on a strait line to the circuit breaker would be to get 2 lines of romex and use the original wire as a pull line said:
Even if a single run from a single outlet straight to the breaker box (doubtful) the wire will probably be stapled to wall stud(s)s in at least one place.

well depends on who did it. It isnt code to do that and my whole house was without staples besides if you disconect the wire from the breaker and pull it out of the distribution box a nice hard pull will fix that problem. its going into the round file afterwards anyways but if you mess it up and cant get the new wire in then you would be in trouble. you can always pull down all of your drywall in the garage and drill holes in your studs to run a new wire through then put up new drywall. will be more work but better looking than conduit running through your garage. Especially EMT conduit.

@Nazrac wrote:
well depends on who did it. It isnt code to do that and my whole house was without staples said:
Well, I'd have to admit I took the NEC exam back in the 90s using the 90 code (back when I was a journeyman electrician in power plants and doing house wiring/electrical inspections on the side).

Last one I did (1999) still had to be stapled (not done with a staple gun anymore, these are the hammered-in arched plastic holders. they don't cut the wire.)

Could be that requirement has been lifted. Or given the fact it is Texas, maybe they don't bother.

http://tinyurl.com/65qw9m

well i wasnt aware of that and all my wires hang vertically from the attic. I am also an electrician but industrial and working under engineers so no licence needed. but with horizontal runs i definately see that they probably fastened in some way most likely even though we are in Texas and all. You know just some dumb rednecks. :roll: but still I would hate to have conduit in my garage. I would tear down the walls do it right then all good. How much load is this tank pulling? I am running less than 15A at anygiven time but my outlet was shared with my tv and other things so i pulled a tank only circuit just for lights.

Conduit in the garage I can live with (almost given as garages seldom have outlets located where you need them for power tools).

Conduit in the living space I'd have problems with.

There is surface mount raceway that doesn't look quiite as bad as conduit, but I'd never get my wife to buy into that one.

Flatwire: http://www.flatwireready.com/surfacemountsystem.html

Surface mount raceway
http://www.creativehomeowner.com/index.php?pane=project&projectid=chele055

didnt you say that your garage is adjacent to your tank? If so run conduit to a j box then through the back into the wall to an outlet.

@Nazrac wrote:
didnt you say that your garage is adjacent to your tank? If so run conduit to a j box then through the back into the wall to an outlet. said:
Yep. This is what I plan to do. I just want to make sure I don't inadvertently create a electrical or fire hazard.

Thanks all for your input.

how are you going to get power into the conduit though? Without tearing out your sheetrock? you cant go through the door or front panel and you dont want to plug it into a differnt outlet.

@fperkins wrote:
[I]@Nazrac wrote:[/I][quote="well depends on who did it. It isnt code to do that and my whole house was without staples said:
Well, I'd have to admit I took the NEC exam back in the 90s using the 90 code (back when I was a journeyman electrician in power plants and doing house wiring/electrical inspections on the side).

Last one I did (1999) still had to be stapled (not done with a staple gun anymore, these are the hammered-in arched plastic holders. they don't cut the wire.)

Could be that requirement has been lifted. Or given the fact it is Texas, maybe they don't bother.

http://tinyurl.com/65qw9m"]

What code ? In this state ?

My home in Chicago had conduit for all lines and I believe NY is the same.

But good luck on using an existing line for a pull line. Let me know how that goes :roll:

@rckrzy1 wrote:
[ What code ? In this state ? My home in Chicago had conduit for all lines and I believe NY is the same. But good luck on using an existing line for a pull line. Let me know how that goes :roll: said:
Uh, the National Electrical Code.

Missouri

Some states, cities, subdivisions, builders had their own requirements on top of the NEC.

But the NEC sets the bar. Can always require more - but MO insurance companies won't write policy (and will refuse to pay claims) if the home isn't wired to at minimum NEC code (assuming built or major remodel after code enforcement was put in place).

@fperkins wrote:
[I]@rckrzy1 wrote:[/I][quote="[ What code ? In this state ? My home in Chicago had conduit for all lines and I believe NY is the same. But good luck on using an existing line for a pull line. Let me know how that goes :roll: said:
Uh, the National Electrical Code.

Missouri

Some states, cities, subdivisions, builders had their own requirements on top of the NEC.

But the NEC sets the bar. Can always require more - but MO insurance companies won't write policy (and will refuse to pay claims) if the home isn't wired to at minimum NEC code (assuming built or major remodel after code enforcement was put in place)."]

well I did run anew line but I just dropped it down. As for pulling with old wire, never tried in a home but do it at work all the time. And I don't know what crazy code they have in NY but as far as I know no code calls for conduit thru walls. and if you did have conduit it would be simple to use old wire to poll new as there would be no way to staple. to down, but if some idiot taped the wires together if it wasnt romex that wouldn't pull very well. But what would I know I'm just a dumby .

"Nazrac wrote:
And I don't know what crazy code they have in NY but as far as I know no code calls for conduit thru walls.

Don't know about NY, but Chicago does require all residential wiring be installed in rigid conduit.

Keeps critters from eating through the insulation and starting fires.

My guess would be NYC would do it for the same reason.

Kind of a big issue in cities where rats out-number people.

It is not rats we are worried about, it is those d@*n fireants. The love plastic wire insulation. :shock:

yeah! go open up a AC-box and tell me Condit stops the fireants . that has to be the most retarded reason for conduit. It wont stop a fire ant. Not only that but its not the insulation its the EMF that, a tracks them. thus why they always find the contacts to your AC compressor.