Rod's Food - anyone use?

Anyone use Rod's Food? I hear it's great stuff and he has amazingly colorful clowns (better than ORA or SA clowns in my opinion)

http://www.rodsfood.com/info_ingredients.html

problem - it's a bit expensive.

found this thread when i was strolling the sps forum.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1438239

Okay so based on your thread I thought I'd go ahead and buy some. I received it today... although Marine Depot did pack it in sytrofoam and with two ice packs it was completely thawed. Anyway, I stuck it in some clean extra PE mysis trays I had, the 6oz bag filled one tray and then half of another.

Then I fed some to my fish. OMG they went nuts. I put some in my brackish water tank and these fish always stay hidden. The minute the food hit the water they came out and went after it. To me it reminds me of chum actually... and it elicited the same response chum does in the ocean.

The main reason I wanted to try it is I'm losing some of my black sun corals and I think it's a nutrition issue because they're fed regularly. So I'm hoping this along with Reef Nutrition products will get them back the way they were.

Hope this helps.

Even though it was thawed, was it still cold?

I wonder if there's a local source for this? I looked at their website awhile back, and didn't see any local stores that sold it.

@joelq wrote:
Even though it was thawed said:
Yes it was ice cold, like it had been thawed in a refrigerator. But the package is really thin (flat) in a ziplock type bag so it wouldn't have taken much to thaw it. The closest places selling it are in the Houston & San Antonio area according to the map on Rod's website. He does state that it is not the best shipper. Probably a group buy where more frozen products packed together will keep them frozen longer would be a better deal. Also, Marine Depot shipped "standard overnight" so I didn't get it until noon. So I think "priority overnight" would be better. Hopefully the thawing/refreezing won't lose too much of the nutrition value.

Received an email from Rod and he said as long as it was still very cold it should be okay.

Also, another note, there was still a small piece of flake food at the top of the tank from feeding earlier, my clownfish who normally inhales the stuff with relish, swam up and got it and spit it out having just been fed real food. I got a feeling I can forget about the flaked food.

I have half a package left that I plan on throwing away. It is about 10 months old. Someone is welcome to come get it if they want it.

I was feeding it to my fish and decided that it made too much of a mess.

I am feeding Rod's food to my tank and they love the stuff!

Another food that I am trying out is one made by a MARSHReef sponsor, SeaMunchies. I tried it a few times with my Reef tank and they didn't like it as much as Rod's but my FOWLR goes nuts for the stuff.

@debdp wrote:
Okay so based on your thread I thought I'd go ahead and buy some. I received it today... although Marine Depot did pack it in sytrofoam and with two ice packs it was completely thawed. Anyway said:
Which food were you using? I see they have a reef pack and then a coral food pack.

@Opus wrote:
Which food were you using? I see they have a reef pack and then a coral food pack. said:
Of the Rod's food I only see one type. Which food are you referring to when you say "They" have a reef pack and coral food pack?

@debdp wrote:
[I]@Opus wrote:[/I][quote="Which food were you using? I see they have a reef pack and then a coral food pack. said:
Of the Rod's food I only see one type. Which food are you referring to when you say "They" have a reef pack and coral food pack?"]

Premium has 5 different foods to choose from.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Rodsfood

@Opus wrote:
[I]@debdp wrote:[/I][quote="[I]@Opus wrote:[/I][quote="Which food were you using? I see they have a reef pack and then a coral food pack. said:
Of the Rod's food I only see one type. Which food are you referring to when you say "They" have a reef pack and coral food pack?"]

Premium has 5 different foods to choose from.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Rodsfood"]

Thanks for the link :) ... even Rod's website doesn't show he has more than one type of food. The only one Marine Depot offers is the Complete Reef, but they also have a nano pack, 2oz version. Complete Reef is the one I purchased. But based on the new info the Coral Blend would suit my tanks better.

I'm up for trying some if someone wants to start a group buy:

from Premium Aquatics:
Notice: This product needs to ship 2-Day Air plus a insulated box with DRY ICE to remain frozen. The box should be offered when you checkout, it cost 10.00. We can fit up to 10 packages in the box.