RODI / Saltwater Mixing Station Size

booker1978

Premium Member
I was able to clear a place in our laundry room for a RODI / Saltwater mixing station and am curious of the size of tanks everyone has on their systems. I am looking for a system that would be able to supply a 150 gallon tank with a 30 gal sump. I have seen everything from small 15 gallon tanks to the big boys. Any pros / cons with going with two larger tanks then smaller?

I have 2 55gal drums, one over the other. The top one stays full of RO. The lower is an open head barrel and I gravity fill it from the top barrel by opening a ball valve. There is a pump hooked up to the bottom barrel to recirculate and mix the salt and also pump the salt water out to the main tank.

I have a 120g and usually change out about 20 gallons each water change so it's more than enough. The only time I needed more was when I was first filling the tank.

I was thinking it could be as easy as getting a couple of drums, but the wife wanted a cleaner look. Now I am in the hunt for a similar size and shape as an Ace Roto-Mold tank. Hope to find one that is available locally, as the shipping prices are stupid.

BTW.... LOVE your build that you and your husband have going, Erika! Wish my wife was as enthusiastic!

I have a 225 gallon tank. I do water changes of 35 gallons per week, and have water top off of about 20 gallons per week. So my water mix station has 35 gallon containers. I do store 30 gallons of sw/ro water in 5g containers for emergencies though, just don't have the ugly 55 gallon barrels in my garage. I had those big blue things for a month and couldn't stand looking at them lol.

@booker1978 wrote:
I have a space that is about 4' x 2.5' and a maximum height of about 5' because of an overhanging cabinet. said:
Gonna be hard to find something to fit those dimensions. You might try Marc, and see if he could build you a custom acrylic storage container that is deisgned to give you maximum storage capacity in your available space.

Hi,
I'm a bit of an automation nut so I would first suggest getting all the high end toys in place before the wife, gf or sig other figures out how much this "hobby" eats into "her" shopping money and "QT" time with you. [smilie=rofl.gif] [smilie=rofl.gif] j/k As far as your issue, you can simply use a single peristaltic pump to do this task. This will allow you to pump from your garage so you are not so limited on space. These pumps will allow you to pump great distances at a slow controlled rate, you can even set up a automatic water change system with a pair and a simple timer, or even go higher tech with something like an Apex controller or a seperate water change system.

Cheers,