Rodeo's Reef (120 Shallow)

Hi all, Finally settled into the new house in Wylie and that means tank upgrade time. I'm going to follow the pack and document the build here for all to enjoy/comment/learn/share.

Tank Specs and Plans:
Builder: Planet Aquarium
Dimensions/Specs: 72" long, 24" front to back, 16" tall. Back drilled. 120 Gallons. Front Starphire. Stand will be 40" high.
Overflow: Modified C2C/Caflo internal skimmer box (36" long, 5-6"deep, 2" wide) with external overflow box (42"long, 8" deep, 3.5-4" wide). Two 1.5" drain holes from skimmer box to overflow box. Exact dimensions will probably change.
Plumbing: 1.5" Bean Animal overflow system, plumbed from bottom of external overflow. Two 3/4" drilled returns. One on each end of the tank.
Flow: Closed Loop System (CLS)/No Powerheads. Three 3/4" drilled returns. 2 return pumps (one running two top returns, and one running through the one lower return).
Sump/Skimmer/Pumps: TBD
Lighting: DIY LED's
Planned Stocking: Coral- LPS/Zoa/Paly Dominate. Fish- Yellow Tang, Clown Pair, Bangii Pair, Ruby Red Dragonet Pair

The tank and stand order are in and we should have the bare bones to begin building in the next couple weeks. My inspiration came from the Nuvo SR120 tank (and my hatred of swimming in my tank every time I need to reach the bottom). I didn't want an AIO tank, I wanted a sump/refugium and the extra room in the display. I also wanted a stand that was furniture grade (because the wife is happier that way lol). So, that led me to getting quotes on building it out my way, with the help of friends of course!

Here is a very unprofessional, free-hand drawing of how the back panel will be drilled. I'm not an artist but it gets the point across. I'll be sure to update the thread with pictures as we move through the process! Happy reefing!

[attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393301751.544220.jpg[/attachment]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow this thank is going to have a very clean look...I love a shallow rimless tank for top veiwing. Have fun with the build. [smilie=lol.gif]

Thanks guys. We are a bit behind on the build. When submitting our order (through Dallas North to Planet Aquarium) we didn't account for a few things. Mainly the amount of holes in the back glass is gong to warrant thicker glass in the back (1/2 isn't enough). I've got to give a huge shout out to Planet Aquariums though. Jerry over at Planet called me this morning and explained everything and is resubmitting the quote back to Dallas North. No harm done, but the fact that Jerry took the time to call me on the tank rather than just dealing with the fish store is commendable and says a lot about their professionalism!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice! My planet tank is 72"x16"x14". I wish I would have gone slightly wider and taller like yours. Looking forward to seeing pics

Dave, how do you like the tank from Planet? I hear great things, just not a whole lot of reviews out there.

Received an email from Dallas North. The tank should be ready on Tuesday. In the mean time I've nailed down some equipment. Ordered 3 Kessil a360w's, a BM180 Skimmer, a larger RODI system( BRS 150GPD RODI) and a custom 52 gallon sump with black acrylic except for the front panel (42Lx18Wx16H).[attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395510440.580456.jpg[/attachment]

I like the black acrylic, great for keeping algae growth down I would think. 3 Kessils will almost be overkill on a 120, will probably have to dial them down quite a bit!

What are you doing for a return pump, and skimmer?

Isaac you got the nail in the head about the acrylic. That is what I was hoping it would do. I went with 3 Kessils because I wasn't sure if two would cover 6ft, but you are right. I'm going to have to probably keep them dialed down.

Thanks Matthew, we shall see if the the plans work in actual practice soon enough.

I'm going to be using a Bubble magus 180 for the skimmer. As far as return pumps and the closed loops pumps I'm honestly not sure. I've been doing some reading and I was thinking of trying the new controllable DC pump fad...

[attachment=1]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395806384.737691.jpg[/attachment][attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395806397.554831.jpg[/attachment]

Tanks in, let the work begin.

Bulk heads and union valves will be here on Monday. More Marco rock will be here tomorrow.

Today is painting day (stand interior). I'm using bed liner (yes for a truck) I'm the bottom of the stand. Completely waterproof, and will help with vibrations due to it's rubberish texture. Only the first bottom coat down. I plan on doing the side walls and support as well with this. The ceiling will just be some acrylic paint I had in the garage.

[attachment=1]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395957607.161085.jpg[/attachment][attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395957627.293473.jpg[/attachment]

So here is where we stand. The Marco Rock and mortar is in, along with all the Kessils and the union valves. I've finished painting the inside if the stand with a base coat of truck bedliner.

I've spent the last week putting the Aquascape together. Don't be fooled by the pic, they are not put together how I'll have them assembled in the tank. Just sitting them on the floor so I can begin plumbing.

The tank is going in our dining room instead of my office (wife wins this one). However, after thinking about it the windows that will be behind the tank will allow for access to the back if I ever need it!

[attachment=2]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397768983.019878.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397768993.619882.jpg[/attachment][attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397769005.236517.jpg[/attachment]