rinsing frozen food

chappy

Premium Member
i read about this but wonder
do i get a strainer and hold the frozen food under tap water till its thawed
i would think the tap water would end up in my tank through the food
any thoughts

I have a squeeze bottle that I refill with RO/DI water. i bought a small strainer too just used for fish food.

If it is rods food I don't even rinse it, everything else I just soak it in tank water then empty the water in the sink once the food is unfrozen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@ss95003 wrote:
I have a squeeze bottle that I refill with RO/DI water. i bought a small strainer too just used for fish food. said:
thanks for the quick reply
that seems do able

@kuyatwo wrote:
If it is rods food I don't even rinse it said:
im out of rods
i would think pouring the water in the sink would add to me pouring fish food down the drain

I thaw mine in tank water. Then I use a small hand held sieve that I use to strain the water out. Then I use a small squirt bottle to rinse the food one more. The water after the food thaws can be thick.

6c41507d-6d38-5297.jpg
alt="">

@bdare wrote:
I thaw mine in tank water. Then I use a small hand held sieve that I use to strain the water out. Then I use a small squirt bottle to rinse the food one more. The water after the food thaws can be thick. [img]http://img.tapatalk.com/6c41507d-6d38-5297.jpg[/img] alt=""> said:
I want one of those! :)

It really is best to rinse any frozen with maybe the exception of Rod's. You can thaw it in either tank water or r/o, strain it through a net and then dump a little more tank water or r/o over it. The either feed from the net or put a little more water in the cup and add the food. It helps reduce the amount of bad nutrients going into the tank. Frozen food is packaged in crappy water and the less crap we add to the tank the better, right?

I think Rods needs to be rinsed too. I only use rods and I checked my topoff water and it had zero phosephate, same with my water change water....but I was getting some HA, started to rinse rods about 2 weeks ago and my HA is going away.

I usually thaw like 20 cubes of food in tap water. Then I dump in a strainer like the one above (got it a Tom Thumb) but it hold more than that one pictured. Then I run some tap water through it for a minute. then a couple of washes with fresh DI water. Then I put it in an ice cube tray and refreeze it into chunks of solid food and DI water. When its time to feed, pop one out, thaw it in tank water and dump it in. Kind of like a mini top off!

here... They have em at Target.
http://www.target.com/p/Michael-Graves-4-Stainless-Steel-Strainer/-/A-13304060

I can't speak for all of them, but the holes in mine are small enough that I can strain frozen rotifiers and cyclops with out losing any.

I thaw out my food which is usually a mix brine, misis, misis pe. Then pour regular water over it, then di water. Strain it and add Amino Omega, mix and repackage it in the empty frozen food container It came from. I then refreeze and use as needed. The cubes usually turn out bigger, but it works very well.