Return pump

i am looking for a return pump which is better the better of the two the eheim 1262 or the mag drive 18 for a 120 gal and a 55 gal sump.
Does anybody have a used one for sale.
Steve

I have a 1262 I was selling with an AquaC EV 180 Skimmer. I'm willing to just sell you the pump. Will PM you with an offer. I really don't know about the use of the 1262 or the Mag 18 to use for a return pump though.

It also depends a bit on how fast you want to run the flow through your sump; I run the next Eheim model down (the 1260) on both a 210 and a 165, and I have each of those throttled back considerably with ball valves. For noise and reliability, I'd recommend the Eheim over the Mag pumps hands down.

The Eheim 1262 should be compared to a Mag 9.5. Based on the spec and price, the Mag 9.5 is a clear winner.
Eheim 1262 is 900 gph at 80Watt and cost $187 on Marinedepot.
Mag 9.5 is 950 gph at 93Watt and cost $100 on Marinedepot.

If the Eheim were to produce 950 gph, it would consume ~84.4 Watt so that's less than 9 Watt difference between the two pumps.
Assuming electric rate is $0.10 per kilowatt hour and the pumps running 24/7, the electric cost difference is less than $8 per year. That means that it would take 10 years to recover the extra cost of the eheim pump.

Comparing other specs:
Eheim 1262 Max head = 11.5' vs Mag 9.5 max head = 14'
Eheim 1262 power cord = 7' vs Mag 9.5 power cord = 10'

I have a mag 12 as the return pump for my 75 and I cannot hear it. The drain line is much louder. There is also the noise from the skimmer the vortech pumps. The mag pump is under water, I doubt you would be able to hear it over all the other noise.

I have owned both...the eheim 1262 handles head pressure better and pushes more water than the mag9.5. They are not equal no matter what the words on paper say. [smilie=smile.gif]

@bimmerzs wrote:
I have owned both...the eheim 1262 handles head pressure better and pushes more water than the mag9.5. They are not equal no matter what the words on paper say. [smilie=smile.gif] said:
+1 for relaibility, heat, and noise.