Restarting. Missed you guys.

AngEngland

Premium Member
So it’s been I guess 18 months since I made it to a coral swap and with good reason - major house flood situation meant that we had to take down the tank in order to make the necessary house repairs. It seems crazy that I grieved my tank as much as many of the other things I lost (and we lost a TON) but it was such a kick in the teeth on top of everything else. The good news is my husband has given me permission to upgrade as I rebuild. Already grabbed a big sump with skimmer from someone getting out and he added his RODI and ice chest full of live rock to boot. Used a ton of dry base (lots I had saved from before) and a bottle of bacteria and then added some great live rock from Tampabay Saltwater. Cycled the live rock with no ammonia or nitrite spikes (thank you bacteria-in-a-bottle!). Got pod your reef to hook me up with some pods too. Now I need a light upgrade (do y’all know how hard it was to find new bulbs for my PC light!?! Holy google search, Batman!) so if anyone has some T5s they are getting rid of let me know. I bought two LED blue light strips at the last swap. I can’t wait to start adding livestock. The corals on the liverock are doing really well - I got three colonies on the rocks that all are thriving so far. So I should feel comfortable trying to add some softies soon. A couple fish are on the way to my local fish store next week. It’s about time. Missed y’all so much. Missed having my hands in the salt water and seeing the life in my living room!bad iPhone pics attached. :)Blessings, Angela View attachment 9085

Welcome back. You can probably find some good deals om t5 fixtures as people continue to move to LED

Posted by: Carlos G Welcome back! said:
Thanks! It feels great to have some LIFE in the tank again, even if it is just a clean up crew. Although my little green corals that came on my live rock looked pretty nice under the blues this morning. :)

Posted by: Heathd Welcome back. You can probably find some good deals om t5 fixtures as people continue to move to LED said:
Yep that's what I'm guessing. Something to keep in mind as I continue to claw my way back from this whole house disaster (Note- I do not recommend natural disasters as a reefkeeping tactic. LOL!!). I love the blue strips I have already - no heat, easy to use. Eventually I'll get them automated but for now it's my morning-cup-of-coffee routine to click them on and stare at the tank for a bit. Thank GOD there's some life in there now. TBS hooked me up nicely and the tank has barely waivered through it's cycling. Ammonia/Nitrite not registered, Nitrates at 10 so next step...fish!Angela

Posted by: CowtownReefing Welcome back said:
Already got some pods and some starter corals in a cart with my name on them! :) Need some LIFE in here. Just got my replacement bulbs in today so my lights are good for now. Thanks for the welcome back y'all. I've kept up my membership all this time just preparing for the day. It is nice to start from scratch though to set it up how I want. #brightside?Angela