Relaxing Hobby...

IC Casey

Premium Member
Today was the longest week of my reefkeeping life.Came in this morning to find my watchman goby in the clutches of a thinstripe hermit. I grabbed the hermit and put my finger on his face to get him to let go, not wanting to rip him off the fish . Get him off and toss him in the sump. It was that or the garbage disposal (not really, but, you know, maybe) . My first thought was that the goby must be sick or dying or something, but he's exhibiting zero signs of trouble... swimming, perching, eating, etc.Simultaneously, every other hermit in the tank has paired up, and they're either trying to mate or murder each other or something. Apparently, none of my filtration removed The Crazies. In the process, two of them have toppled my new Maxima clam (2 weeks in tank), and it's clearly NOT happy. I had issues finding it a good spot in the rocks and didn't want to bleach it, so it was in the sand bed (partly to keep it from toppling). I right the clam and give it a couple of hours..Now half of its mantle isn't coming out at all and it's showing signs of pmd. So I get out the bucket and my pH test kit so I can start a RO dip in case it's not just irritation. I also blow off sand and place it in the small crevice in the rockwork to keep it out of the skirmishes that have broken out at ground level. I go to lunch while the RO dip gets up to temperature, and when I come back, the clam looks the same but now it's fused itself to the rock where I placed it (tilting away from the front of the tank) .So, uh, yeah. Think I might go to a snail-only CUC after today .

I hate it when things in the tank don't jive...it's like REALLY! I talk to it and say, "did you really just do that?"I feel ya, my sand sifting goby covered my fungia plate and killed it...needless to say I don't have the goby anymore, too much coral on the sandbed.