Randy's Reef Tank

I wet sanded the front and sides with varnish to fill in the wood grain. Also used putty to fill any nicks and cracks. I'm hoping for a smooth finish coat.

Tank assembly day. It's been painted and fill tested. I'm putting it all together now!

enuhaja4.jpg
alt="">
ugajaju4.jpg
alt="">
za6u6u7u.jpg
alt="">

is that a Reef Octopus T90 tank? if so, i was going to go with that tank. i like the dimensions a lot. only issue i could find was that people said the overflow could be a bit noisy. Planet Aquariums builds a very similar size tank too and I considered that option since if you buy the tank and stand together, they give you a 7yr warranty. i think Reef Octopus only gives you a 90 day warranty if you do not use their stand. in the end i decided to get a custom build b/c w/ the sump, in the stand, there's really not any room for an ATO reservoir.

Anyway, great job on the stand, simple and sleek. love the tank too!

Thanks for the comments. I'm going for a clean simple look; Rimless, light color stand, and single light that attaches from the back.

I'm doing some more work this morning because I wired the VDM dimming cables incorrectly. Got it fixed but have a mess to clean up. Once I get it all back in order Ill get some new photos up.

It is a reef octopus lux-t90. I bought a small sump - the proflex (smallest one) so I have room for a 5gal ATO reservoir within the stand.

On the noise:
It is noisier that I thought it would be :/ At night when the house is quiet its very noticeable and its slightly noticeable when the TV is on in the same room. I thought a variable flow return pump would help me find the sweet spot but i have not found it yet. I am going to run to the supply store later and see if I can add a Hofer Gurgle Buster: http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/HGB/HGB_construction.html I have read good things about it.

@reeferwanabe wrote:
May have to wait at least 2 weeks to allow the pipes to slime. It'll get much quieter then. ~Matt said:
Hearing that inspires hope. This is my first sumped tank so its all new to me right now. Thanks.

Ok the work is done. Ammonia dropped so I added some food. Still no nitrates/nitrites.

8evuvuse.jpg
alt="">
ajuruze2.jpg
alt="">

Very clean setup. Looks very modern, like an Elos system.

Looks really good. What is that round thing in the back left corner

It's the cncreef Asis 6x18 with two rapidled aurora pucks. I was thinking of doing a separate post on it. It's pretty nice. The back corner is the overflow made by reef octopus.

I started dosing ammonia about a week ago. I dosed yesterday to 2ppm and it was at .25 this morning. So the tank is clearing ammonia now. However, nitrates are still really high and holding. Perhaps a few more days are needed.

@reeferwanabe wrote:
Why would you dose ammonia when there should be none detected? Am I missing something? ~Matt said:
Dosing ammonia is used instead of putting raw shrimp in a tank to help cycle a new tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's new to me as well. I read that it cycles much faster and it's only a few bucks so I went for it.

You can also ensure bacteria are established by dosing and measuring till things zero out - which should take a day or two.