Randy's Reef Tank

Dude

Membership Expired
More details TBA but here is my first scape attempt.

8evenahy.jpg
alt="">

adaguzu3.jpg
alt="">
mu3ymuvu.jpg
alt="">
emypapu8.jpg
alt="">

Got the stand partially assembled. Gonna let the glue dry for a few days.

Soaked the rock in a vinegar bath then added it to the brute with salt water, heater, and a power head to begin the cycle.

How big is the tank? You sure that stand will support the weight of the tank once it is full of water?

36x18x18... I'm sure it'll be more than strong enough. There will be some bracing on the front as well.

First water reading:Temperature: 81Salinity: 1.025Ammonia, NH4: 0.25Nitrate, NO3: 0Nitrite, NO2: 0pH: 7.9Phosphate, PO4: 0.25for date: March 19, 2014

Keep in mind I am measuring from photos of the api test cards since my test card is freshwater.

Hmm, anyways.... I've used api tests for over a year and they have always done the job. Contacted customer service today to see about new cards. I have a ph and salinity probe/tool for the basics.

For your stand, which is the top? I'm confused about the bracing you mentioned, where you planning to put it. I've built few stands myself and 2x4 was choice for support. The lumber choice you are using is great, but again, if the top is the first pic, then I'm concerned about the ends/sides not having proper support. If it is turned to the side, then the sides may have enough support. Make sense?

~Matt

It's turned on the side in the above photo. Bracing will go on front top and bottom. I'm also considering bracing in all corners to ensure fastening of the glued joints. Or perhaps use some metal corner fasteners.

I've read up a lot on stands. 2x4 is probably safer but I need the space and want a clean look.

The small 3-4" boards in the photo would be used as top and bottom front braces. The top will also have a 6" facia attached over the inside brace. Single door across the front.

This is my first stand build and honestly the extra bracing options are still in consideration. I'm no expert in construction but I was a licensed journeyman years back and I know my way around. I do plan to test it in the garage. Any feedback is appreciated.

Once I'm confident it's capable. I will sand and finish it then prime and add a few coats of enamel paint from a sprayer.

Thanks Matt. I have screws on the top and bottom but not on the sides for appearances. The internal corner braces will be screwed and glued.

I have a plan for bracing now. I was dry fitting the doors and noticed an ever so slight bow on the side panels. Now I'm thinking of 4" wide vertical supports, one on each side, in the front approx 2 inches back from inside of door. These will; add support, fix the bow, and provide a place to attach controllers for pumps and apex.

Quick update:
- ammonia is at 10, cycle is moving on
- wired LEDs, adjusted drivers, tested apex dimming, waiting on cncreef fixture
- finished wood and added first primer coat to inside, it will be a few days before paint is finished

New pics.

Finished the primer yesterday. It's raining so I brought it in.
epu7epem.jpg
alt="">
hesutate.jpg
alt="">

Here is my led power center. I wanted to hide as much wire mess as possible. Used scrap plywood, primer and some left over weather stripping. Planning to attach this in the top-back on the inside of stand.
e9uhy4a2.jpg
alt="">
adyma9ut.jpg
alt="">

That wood you using looks like MDF. If it is, it is NOT waterproof and will swell up. You must paint it with a oil base, not water base.

~Matt