Raising ro/di PH for a fish freshwater dip

Oscarmk

Premium Member
  • I am suspecting gill flukes on my tank, there are no externalsigns or behavior changes other than the ocassional flashing, been going on for 6 months or more, so it might be a very mild infestation, or I have also read ich can manifest on the gills only all the time, sounds unlikely given basically no symptoms, but either way afaik the only way to confirm flukes is a freshwater dip. I have the ro/di ready the temp matching and an airstone but unsure how to properly raise PH to match my tank?. Read about baked baking soda or pure baking soda also found seachem marine buffer but that also contains Calcium and others precipitation likely I think, I know freshwater dipping is relatively common, how do you raise the PH before the dip?. I know I can just start prazi pro, but would like to avoid using it on my display tank if there is no need to, so want to confirm first.

Have you looked at these:?https://www.amazon.com/API-Proper-PH-8-2-200-Gram/dp/B0002AQMX2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1484582896&sr=8-3&keywords=api+ph+up?https://www.amazon.com/API-PH-Aquarium-Adjuster-16-Ounce/dp/B0002ASGC2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484582896&sr=8-1&keywords=api+ph+up

I've used them in my freshwater tank.? Never to do what you are trying to do.? They do work.

The one time Ive done it, I just added a splash of saltwater.?I'd recommend using a dark (black preferably) bucket if you have one as the flukes turn white and are easier to identify.?Found these guys on the one I didView attachment 173

Thank you both, Opus would you recommend one product over the other for simply raising the PH?. Seems any would work.[][]cmcoker I though about adding a bit of saltwater, but not sure if that would defeat the purpose of the dip, it seems it worked for you, is that a parasitic pod?. I don't have a black bucket, but was planning to use a transparent small plastic container on top of a dark background to see the possible flukes.

It was a skin fluke, I believe it was a neobenedenia melleni. I did end up losing the fish, it was in quarantine and perished despite treatment efforts. It was a wrasse ?already stressed and, ?talking with people smarter than me, hypo salinity was recommended for this particular fluke but he didn't make it. I think he may have had something else going on at the time as well....http://www.vetbook.org/wiki/fish/index.php?title=Neobenedenia_spp

I did the dip today, the PH up API really works, I only needed a couple of drops for it to reach a 8.0 PH. I caught my flasher wrasse as I suspected really quick with the fish trap, I gave him a 5 mins 30 seconds dip, absolutely nothing came out unfortunately.I was really hoping it would be flukes, but now I have no idea what they have, but out of my 5 fish, I have seen them all flash at least once, some days 2 or 3 of them are flashing occasionally, then they stop. Most days they don't flash at all, but lately I had seen them flashing at least one day of the week. When they flash they seem to do it on the gill specifically, they have never had white dots, and it is definitely nothing that kills quickly as I have observed this behavior for months. Which is why I was so sure it was gill flukes but nothing... At least I won't have to dose prazi pro for nothing.It is definitely not ammonia, nitrates or nitrites, and my PH is fairly stable. Is there any other disease or external factor that could possibly match this other than ich on the gills only?. All fish have perfect skin and absolutely no behavior changes other than flashing some days.