purple tang?

How long should your tank be up and going before buying a purple tang I've read that they are very hardy but doue to there expense I don't want to rush buying one to early, my tank has been up for 7 weeks and I have 2 clowns and a clean up crew with an anemone?

Purple tang should be the last tang you put in as it is very territorial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im with pampee, purple tangs can be real bullys once they have established what rock pile is theres.

Blue tangs are ich magnets, so the more established your tank is, the better chance they have.
I would wait another few months to make sure you've got a handle on the tank before you add one.
Or make it the 2nd to last tang you get.

When you do get a Tang though be sure you have a QT setup to have him reside in before you place in your main tank. That way if they do get ICH you can keep it from you main tank.

Please read the requirements for any of the tangs, some require ample room to swim. IME, the blue tangs can also be territorial when large. I had a blue and yellow tang together and the blue tang was the tank ruler.

@austenwitte wrote:
How long should your tank be up and going before buying a purple tang I've read that they are very hardy but doue to there expense I don't want to rush buying one to early said:
Just an opinion but... If you want a purple tang let your tank cycle at least another 4 to 6 weeks IMO. Any and all tangs can be territorial and parasite prone, so selecting based on those criteria will likely get you confused and tangless. Providing a stable environment for optimum immune system maturity is the key to keeping tangs in my experience. Purples are extremely hardy but any tang needs a stable environment with plenty of dirty rock to graze on to be happy. What size is the tank how often are your water changes and how many gallons do you change just to have a decent idea of bacterial maturity.