pump stopped pumping last nite...

I would have never noticed, but my panworld pump was stuck last nite. Luckily the wife noticed a louder then normal humming and told me to look. Pump was on but not pumping water. So being the scientific person I am I made sure nothing was stuck in the intake in my sump, nada...

Unplugged and plugged pump back in and it worked fine. Thing is, the pump was not hot to the touch which sorta tells me it wasnt working hard, aka trying to push air or clogged.

Dunno if I should be worried or not, has anyone else ever ran into this problem?

Nick

Nick,
It's possible that it shutdown due to thermal protection. I bought a used Little Giant that did that too. When it got to hot, It just shut down and would restart after it cooled awhile if I unplugged/replugged it (not restart on it's own). Nice feature to keep from burning things up, but hard to predict when/if there's some problem.

Doug

Edit: Sorry I missed the fact that it was still on. Leaving original msg. for just a thought

my dolphin pump on my euro-reef skimmer stopped yesterday also. Same thing except it WAS hot and it didn't restart when I plugged it back in. Did it poop out or just in some need of cleaning?

i use a pan world 250ps,..this problem is most likely caused by a very short power outtage. try unplugging the pump and then just plugging it back in right away, if the pump does not start again and just hums that is exactly what mine does it seems normal. my guess is that the pump is not designed to run with water coming back through(similar to other pumps of the same type) i think i will install a check valve so the water does not come back through the pump.hope this helps you, i was a little upset when i noticed this.