Protein Skimmer???

mtex4

Premium Member
I need help but I know this question is going to be like asking you what is better Coke or Dr Pepper? Anyway it’s time to upgrade my Coralife Needle Wheel 125 protein skimmer but I’m not sure what to get. I have a 72g bow front with a 20g sump. Looking at the Octopus Extreme XS160.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Like to keep it $300 or less. Thanks.

Yep, like an oil thread on a motorcycle forum! I just upgraded from eshopps to a precision marine rl-150 and it is great! Great quality and only took a few days to get it dialed in. I have it in a 110.

If you can do in sump I believe there's nothing better than a bubble magus. Its around $200 and works like a charm. If you go the octopus way get a pacific coast one instead (their the same skimmer just branded differently) from Aquadirect.com ... their MUCH cheaper than the octopus and like i said exactly the same.

when i started looking at a new one everyone said they just loved their octopus and its the way i went. no first hand knowledge yet but they were priced right so im trying it.

merged duplicate threads also

i have the same setup. im running the SWC 120 xtreme cone and it pulls pretty good skimmate. when i setup my 120gallon im going to go reef octopus xp-2000 cone. i like the bubble blaster pump

An octo skimmer with the Bubble blaster pump would be a great choice. The Super Reef Octopus 1000INT In-Sump
Protein Skimmer would be a great choice and it's under $300. However, if you want to get more for you money you might want to check out the for sale forums at varous sites. You can score a larger skimmer for around the same price.

Oh and the other skimmers recomended aren't bad, i'm just biased towards Octopus [smilie=wink.gif] .