Phosban reactor help

Ok so yesterday I learned not to use the seachem white phosban stuff.
Today I go to look at the iron based stuff you guys were using on the tour yesterday and find there are choices.
What brand do most of your recomend?
I am leaning toward rowaphos, but would like suggestions.

Also was it just me or did the tanks running mirical mud look very nice?

What is wrong with the pellet stuff you used? Just curious.

ROWAphos is pretty good stuff. I kind of like to save money when I can, and Phosban tends to be cheaper. http://www.melevsreef.com/chemicals.html has a number of phosphate removing products listed.

It's just you. hehehe

If my reading is correct, the white seachem stuff I am using can leach aluminium (spelling) and is not iorn based.
For the most part what I saw everyone else using was iorn based
Different

I am 2 weeks into using phosban reactor. I am using 150 grams of phosban, and I also put carbon in there with it.
Within a week, water was clearer.

Okay, I didn't know what that stuff was that I was looking at last night, Tjay. Thanks for telling me, as I forgot to ask.

Aluminum-based products don't react well with leathers, for example. Iron-based have done just fine in my tank.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/june2004/review.htm

This would indicate no difference in rowaphos or phosban, both are iorn based but phosban is much cheaper.

I should have asked brand name while I was looking yesterday

Phosban is dusty and fine. ROWAphos is wet and somewhat larger. Either should do the job. What are your current PO4 levels?

They dont register on two different brands of kits
It is not that I have a phosphate problem, but Donna comes from the Marc school of fish feeding, and well I would not want to deprive her or the fish from that ritual.
So I run it mainly as a preventative measure.

Sounds like you don't need it yet. But I understand what you are doing. If you do run Phosban or ROWAphos, just use a smalller amount. I saw your reactor filled to the top, which really is too much. There are guys running 3 teaspoons worth.

Um... I'm using 32 heaping teaspoons in two reactors currently. :roll:

It is a product just like ROWAphos, but private labeled. They were going to sell it here in the U.S. but ROWAphos was going to sue, so the vendor sold it in bulk on ReefCentral. George and I split the order and he sold smaller amounts to others in the club.

RowaPhos seems a lot more expensive than phosban. I need to find out what David was running, he appeared to have a very successful application

I dont mind spending the extra for rowaphos, but if fosban works as well as indicated in the test results of the article posted why spend the money

Speaking of how much to run.....

for phosban, how many teaspoons/tablespoons equals 150grams of this stuff.
and what is the proper amt for a 115g tank running one reactor?

I don't mean to hijack the thread :D

TJay I am currently using “Two Little Fishers PhosBan” and it is currently on sale at: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=8996&N=2004+113803

At some point I plan to try some ROWAphos as well but down the road.

Thanks big guy, I found some down at Ramin's going over to pick some up today along with a filter sock.

Thanks for schoolin me on this

@sunset pizza wrote:
I don't know. The container treats 150g of water, right? So you could divide it up to the size of your tank. There is an excellent article by RHF on ReefCentral about iron-based phosphate removers, but I don't have the link handy.

The gist of it is to use lesser amounts than what you need, and bring the levels down slowly instead of dropping them too quickly. Corals don't respond well to sudden changes, even stuff like phosphates.

On the phosban, it treats 300 gallon with the 150 g amount. So I would half it and that should be good. I don't think there would be any harm in running more than you need. Of course don't take that for certain cause sometimes I am idiot.